Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#61333 by rogerra
Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:47 pm
I'm trying to have floor plan print lighter than the information on the plan (a background plan). I have set a pen (#4) in this case to print at 60%. It works ok when I print with the colored lines on.
But when I check "all black" I get a black an white pdf but the plan I wanted to print lighter is just black.

How can I solve the problem if anyone understands what I am saying?
#61336 by Nick Pyner
Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:37 pm
When you click all black you get all black 100%. You can get what you want by unclicking all black and mapping all colours individually to black with percentage variations as you require.
#61337 by Roger D
Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 pm
all black does mean all black, ignoring colors and density.
You might have to create a 2nd Pen Table that has the lines not colored.
#61346 by rogerra
Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:48 pm
Thanks. It doesn't work.

When I leave the pen designated light gray to print at 50%, in order for that to happen, I have to print the drawing in color. I don't want to pay for a color print just for a small background plan.

Maybe that's what I'll have to do.

Oh well.
#61348 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:02 pm
You could map colors red thru cyan all to Pen 2 since they have the same settings which would free up pens 3-5 to be used for something else in the future.
#61352 by MtnArch
Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:13 pm
The other option would be to use a VERY thin pen setting - but be careful that whoever is printing the sheet for you doesn't use too low of a DPI setting. When I plot a sheet this way on my Canon inkjet plotter I get a really crisp sheet; when I send it out to my local repro company they have a laser that defaults to 300 DPI and I lose most of the thin line work. Josh recommended that I request that they use a higher DPI (600?) to force it to show everything correctly - I haven't yet but the next order will have that request!
#61385 by rogerra
Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 pm
Thanks to all who responded. I have not had a chance to do any of the suggestions yet.

I'll let you know how they work when I do.
#61967 by Ted B
Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:27 am
If the base drawings is fairly straight-forwards, the other method I've seen is change the line-type of the screen-base to "dotted" and experiment a bit with lineweights and spacings to get a "screened" appearance.

Never have found a decent used for "dotted" lines anyway. In most architectural practices I've even worked-in over the last 30-years, conversationally that's what we called "dashed" lines . I still think "dotted" when in CAD I mean "dashed".