Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#4801 by Heinrich
Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:55 pm
Is there a way to draw lines at specific angles while using Dir. Dist.? I know you can use Rel. Polar, but doing mostly floor plans with right angles it really is faster fo me to use Dir. Dist.. Thanks.

-Redd
#4804 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:12 pm
Love your avatar!
#4811 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:04 pm
Hello Redd,

Other than changing the Grids snap angle to something like every 15d or 10d, the best way is to temporarily switch over to Relative Polar (via the Status Area pulldown, or by hitting the Insert key), and then switch back to Direction Distance. Or, you might find that using Tangents (which rotates the cursor to any angle) or changing the grid angle (on some layers) to the angle that you want to use.
#4821 by Heinrich
Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:38 pm
Neil,
Well thats what I thought you would say. Oh well. I was an AutoCAD user for over 7 years before taking this job. I got very used to how ACAD worked with the angle and distance input and I guess I'm just missing it's simplicity (the input not AutoCAD :wink: ). Thanks anyways.

-Redd
#4824 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:03 pm
Hello Redd,

I guess I'm not understanding what it is that you want to do -- and then why it is you can't use one of these options in DataCAD to do it? Can you explain it a bit, please?
#4827 by MtnArch
Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:56 pm
Heinrich wrote:Is there a way to draw lines at specific angles while using Dir. Dist.? I know you can use Rel. Polar, but doing mostly floor plans with right angles it really is faster fo me to use Dir. Dist.. Thanks.

-Redd

Hi, Redd -

I too am an Acad user (V9 through V2006 - not by total choice, but by paycheck-necessity!).

There is no equivalent to what Acad allows (with the relative input) other than RelPolar. This is just one of those situations where Dcad's speed/functionality is different (NOT better!!!) than Acad's.

(Side note to Neil - Acad will allow you to input a distance and indicate the angle by adding a "<" before the degrees that you want it to go to - since Acad doesn't distinguish between different ways to input distances like Dcad does. IE. @12'<345 tells Acad that you want the next line to be based relative to the last point entered and that you want it to extend 12 feet at an angle of 345 degrees. A command of @12',8' will draw a line relative to the last point entered 12 feet in the "X" direction and 8 feet in the "Y" direction.)

The great functionality about Dcad is that a few whack's (thanks, Jim Horecka for that euphanism!!) on the "Insert" key will get you to RelPolar, and another quick ones will get you back to DirDist. The best of both worlds!!!

HTH
#4828 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:36 pm
Hello Alan,

MtnArch wrote:The great functionality about Dcad is that a few whack's (thanks, Jim Horecka for that euphanism!!) on the "Insert" key will get you to RelPolar, and another quick ones will get you back to DirDist. The best of both worlds!!!

HTH

Right, and in v11 you can also use the pulldown menu in the Status Area to "toggle" between the input modes of your choice: click-drag-release! :wink:

There are a few times when I want to use Relative Polar (for sites, primarily), and Relative Cartesian (roof slopes), but most of the time Direction Distance is the mode I choose. And after you have one sloped line, whack B, click on the line, draw -- and to get back, whack B-F3-right click...

DirDis came to us from Generic CADD, IIANM. :shock:
#4830 by Heinrich
Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:25 am
MtnArch,
Thanks for the explanation. This wasn't really that big of a deal, but it happened to pop into my head. There are alot of things I am having to get used to after using ACAD for so long. I took this job never having even heard of DCAD before, but saw it as a challenge and an asset to learn it. Obviously they both have their pros and cons. Thanks again guys.

-Redd
#4838 by Sinha
Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:02 am
Hi Redd,
It's pretty simple. I hope the following will help.

1.Snap on a line. You now have one end attached to any existing line and the other end is attached to your cursor, right? (Kindalike, rubberband effect)

2.Hold down 'SHIFT' and snap again at the same point (with your middle button)

3.A menu comes up.....pick the last one that says "Get Angle+Angle"

4.You can now enter the agnle from Origin and Distance from Origin.