Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#62263 by Tiffany
Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:52 pm
I am in need of a refresher on Hatch Scaling. My border is drawn at 1/8" scale and I want to use a cement hatch at scale of 20 on my legend. My roof plan is drawn at 1"=20', but I can't seem to figure out the conversion to get my hatch scale to show the same on a multi-scale sheet. Enlarging the hatch doesn't change the scale, and I can't seem to figure out what the polyline Lock Scale does (doesn't seem to do anything that I've attempted to correct my hatch scale).

Does anyone have a handy calculator or conversion formula?

I've been using DataCAD for the last 12 years, and I feel like I should know how to do this.. arghh
Running current version of DataCAD 16.
#62264 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm
Lock Origin, Angle, and Scale causes DataCAD's editing operations applied to the boundary to modify the origin, angle, and scale of the hatch pattern contained within it. Otherwise, by default, the origin, angle, and scale of hatch patterns does not change when the boundary is 'transformed'.

Lock Size (disables Lock Scale) and causes the hatch pattern to appear at the same 'density', regardless of plot scale. This is achieved 'behind-the-scenes' by enlarging the current entity's hatch scale relative to the plot scale.

I think the 'trick' is to establish the desired hatch scale for a given plot scale first, then enable Lock Size in order to maintain that density when you plot.
#62265 by Tiffany
Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 pm
Thanks Mark, that solved my problem!

I went to my border/legend, right clicked my hatch, set Lock Size to YES, copied my hatched polyline, switched view to my roof plan, pasted the polyline/hatch and the scale was automatically adjusted.
#62272 by Roger D
Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:41 pm
Tiffany wrote:Does anyone have a handy calculator or conversion formula?

Many of the hatches are based on DataCad's base unit, 1/32". So for like the Line hatch, the lines are spaced Scale/32" apart, so it you want them 1" apart, the scale is 32.
Others are based on 1".
Don't know if that helps any, depends on who created the hatch.