Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#62576 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:04 am
Hello,

I am finding that we need a bit more control over text formatting. The standard title page has both the abbreviation section:
Text Columns.png
Text Columns.png (178.11 KiB) Viewed 8163 times

And the general construction notes has a table portion:
Text Tables.png
Text Tables.png (134.33 KiB) Viewed 8163 times

The side by side columns of the abbreviations is the harder problem. At the moment, the only way to do it is with individual regular text, which is clunky.

The notes that need to be in a table are okay using ParaText, but the indenting of the A, B, C, subsections is not quite as it should be. I used to think that MText could use Tabs, but when I tried it, I found that it basically is no better than ParaText.

How do you do this sort of thing? What can we get working better in DataCAD?
#62579 by Roger D
Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:20 pm
I also look forward to other responses, since I have the same issues.

My current (last 15 years) is to use excel to format my notes.
I used to copy and paste the excel as a .png file, but found printing was getting fuzzy.
I currently use copy and paste as text, but it takes a while to fuss with the row heights in excel so they paste ok into DCad, and also develop standard column widths so one can plan ahead.
#62581 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:24 pm
The specification sheet(s) are where we really need tabbed tables:

Text Columns-02.png
Text Columns-02.png (115.59 KiB) Viewed 8138 times

We do not need/want to have this "automatically" done - that is what word processors try to do. But we do need to have tabbed formatting, in MText and/or in ParaText.
#62584 by Roger D
Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:36 pm
Tabbed (1 line) or Indent (line and those that follow)?.
#62665 by joshhuggins
Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:23 pm
Tab support within Mtext/Ptext would be enough for us.
#62667 by jimgoodman
Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:31 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Tab support within Mtext/Ptext would be enough for us.

Count a vote from me for this one as well.
#62712 by wwwylie
Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:24 pm
Tabs and Indents would be awesome. I like the idea of MText & PText functioning more like a word processor.

I use PText for all my notes and I separate the numbering from the notes into separate entities. I do the same for sub-lists as well when needed. It can be a pain to edit sometimes, but overall it has been a lot better than trying to re-space everything when single line text goes beyond the end of a line.

Here's a screenshot of one notebox. The dashed lines are hidden boundaries that I leave on to help with visually formatting.
#62719 by joshhuggins
Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:01 pm
We have the same setup as Wade basically.