Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#62984 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:27 pm
Hello,

I have not used Knockouts very much, and I simply turned on KO for a ParaText entity. It is sitting over some native entities, and there is a Clip Cube in use. I toggle on KO in the PText properties menu and it blocks out the background - until I zoom or pan.

What am I missing?
#62995 by dmartens
Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:25 am
Hi Neil,
I have just started using them recently myself. I have my layer display 'in order'. Pen sort is off. The layer with the text needs to come after the layer containing the xref. And compatibility node is on. My only problem with knockouts on p-text is I cannot get the upper & lower margins to be the same. But that may be a function of the font we use here (arcwy2hc). Hope this works for you. Knockouts are great.

Dan
#63018 by wwwylie
Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:32 pm
I've noticed that when you turn on a Knockout it displays as if the entity you just turned on is the foremost object in the drawing. If you pan it often displays as if there is no Knockout. It is best to regen the display and make sure "In Order" is selected in Display>Layer Order.

I think of knockouts as a solid fill (White) that you cannot see on the screen. In one drawing I placed a knockout behind my sheet & sheet text layers and then was able to move drawing around "behind" the sheet and the knockout worked like a clipping mask.

I have not tried WYSIWYG plotting, but I had to covert to Pen Sort off and rearrange my Layer ordering when I began using DataCAD 15. See this post for more explanation: http://forum.datacad.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=13877
#63019 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:38 pm
wwwylie wrote:... I think of knockouts as a solid fill (White) that you cannot see on the screen.

Wade is dead-on correct. As much as I'd like you folks to think of me as some sort of programming wizard, I can only go as far as the programming and hardware tools afforded me. Many times, the most simple solution is truly the best. Although the implementation of KnockOuts entailed quite a bit more than just a fill that you cannot see, that was truly the basis of its genesis.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

Dave