Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#63182 by Bruce111
Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 am
Hi,

I have just purchased a SSD and was wanting to put DataCad onto it. I have DataCad on my C drive and want to install onto E drive (SSD) Tried installing but could not see any options to install to a different drive but the main drive (C).. How do I re install to my E drive?
#63183 by Mark Toce
Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:05 am
The option to change the installation path should be the fifth dialog that Setup displays during installation. Click the "Browse" button to select a different path.

01-install.jpg
Step 1
01-install.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 10848 times

02-install.jpg
Step 2
02-install.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 10848 times

03-install.jpg
Step 3
03-install.jpg (34.06 KiB) Viewed 10848 times

04-install.jpg
Step 4
04-install.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 10848 times

05-install.jpg
Step 5
05-install.jpg (39.62 KiB) Viewed 10848 times
#63185 by Bruce111
Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 am
Thanks Mark. Once I uninstalled it from C drive, all re installed well to E drive. Much faster!
#63189 by Nick Pyner
Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm
Bruce111 wrote: Much faster!

Well, that's interesting.........

If you install an SSD, do you get the speed boost by using it as C: with the operating system, or D: with DataCad?
#63190 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 pm
Won't see much speed increase with Datacad other than load times for data on the SSD. OS & Datacad installed on SSD is ideal. For this situation without reloading the OS, would probably just have set folders like temporary files, clipboards and a few other paths for larger files or folders with many files to a set of folders on the SSD.
#63191 by Bruce111
Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am
I have the C: as HDD, D: as cd and E: as ssd. Windows is on C:. Datacad and drawing files are on E: ssd

As josh said ( happy birthday Josh) the speed increase is with Datacad startup and load drawing times.

With my current system (before ssd) I dont really have an speed issues when using Datacad. I would have liked to install Datacad once on C: drive and also on E: drive and compare the two. but I could not make that work. Over the past versions of Datacad startup time have been extended, with the ssd I would say this has been halved and loading up drawing files has also halved, roughly! I would also say that generally working on drawing files thing seem to be a little slicker with the ssd.

All drawing files are also backed up to C: just in case! While I build up confidence with the ssd.

Its early days but, currently I am happy with the ssd and I can justify the £38 cost.
#63192 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:58 am
Bruce111 wrote:Over the past versions of Datacad startup time have been extended,
I would guess this is the new software license logging in to the verification server. The real new stinker is when you try to launch an AEC file from windows explorer and it checks something again.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, but my birthday is April 2nd, which happens to be Datacad's birthday also. :D
#63203 by Nick Pyner
Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:26 pm
Mine seems to take for ever but I now see that it is 8 sec from clicking on the file to seeing the model. File is 729k This is V16 under XP with 500Gb hard disk.

Fifteen secs IS for ever. You must be using some seriously heavy files, or the computer is surely in dire need of a laxative.
#63206 by Bruce111
Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:40 am
With SSD about 7 sec on old HDD yes 15 sec sounds about right.

With working within a file that has a lot of PNG files inserted, the SSD is appreciative quicker.

Josh, Your welcome. lol. I would have sworn that I saw on the bottom of the Datacad forum web site a Congratulations to you. Perhaps i have been working to hard!!
#63208 by Nick Pyner
Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:29 am
Mark F. Madura wrote:It's the time to launch DataCAD, not load a file.

What I meant was clicking on a file in order to launch DataCad, and then see the file, which I would have thought is what matters. I assumed this would take longer than merely clicking the desktop icon to get a blank DCad screen, but I have just checked that and I can't tell the difference.

8 seconds.

If you are just launching DataCad, no big file involved, 15 seconds is definitely for ever.

I have a Dell 505 laptop which runs an 8Gb CF card as the only drive. Launching DataCad on that did take all of 15 seconds, maybe a bit more. The solution was to recognise that running DataCad on it was a bad idea, and desist.
#63209 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:23 am
Opening DataCAD 16 from a desktop icon takes about 8 seconds.

Opening a blank drawing on the desktop takes about the same time.

We store all our drawings on a server, and we use lots of XRef's. Opening a 5.8MB drawing with no XRef's takes about 2s after DataCAD is running.
#63210 by MtnArch
Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 pm
On my box:

Opening DC from my taskbar takes +/-19 seconds. Opening an AEC file (with 2 xrefs) from Internet Explorer takes +/-10 seconds.
#63211 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:38 pm
It's about 7 secs launch time here from cold launch or opening a file from explorer. It's not a big deal for the first launch and it's understandable with the softlock (hardlock was almost instant). It's the opening files from outside the program that's adds the extra 7 secs for every file opened that's a very minor annoyance when they used to be instant to start the loading process. Makes the user have to go up to File, Open every time instead of being able to just have the job folder open in Explorer and double clicking files as needed. Far from a deal breaker.