Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#63234 by spencer5x5
Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:27 am
I am running Windows 8.1 and have received JP2 files from a client. My computer doesn't know how to open these files. I have found many software suggestions in on-line searches and none seem to work to view these files. Do any of you use or know of these files? I just need to view them and have no clue as to how to open them. Thanks for any help.

Michael R. Spencer, Architect
#63235 by David A. Giesselman
Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:22 am
Those are most likely JPEG2 files. Any recent image viewing program should be able to open them. For instance, InfranView.

Dave
#63243 by spencer5x5
Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:53 am
Dave & Neil,

Irfanview was the first software suggested by my online search. It didn't like the JP2 files at all. I am fully aware that it could totally be operator error, but it would not open the files. The JP2 files are JPEG2000 files, which of course I had never heard of before. After trying 4 or 5 different free softwares that didn't work, I wrote back to client to remake files in a more basic format. I then searched for a software to create JP2 files. I found XnView. It worked very well. Client later told me that she had created the images on her Mac, and had toggled the button to make them Windows friendly. I'm not sure which Windows version is supposed to be able to handle those types of files, but 8.1 that I have didn't know what they were.

I appreciate your input.

Mike
#63247 by Nick Pyner
Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 pm
spencer5x5 wrote:Dave & Neil,
Irfanview was the first software suggested by my online search. It didn't like the JP2 files at all.

Indeed, a colleague came up against this years ago and reckons its about the only thing Irfan can't do! I don't think this is to serious a failing though, since he, and you, are the only people I know of who have ever seen a JPEG 2000 file. I think it is one of those things that came, and went, and nobody noticed or missed it.
#63250 by jimgoodman
Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:17 pm
FastStone image viewer will open and save JP2 files.
This is a terrific shareware viewing program with a fairly good set of editing tools.
I think I heard about it on this forum several years ago after my previous favorite, Compupic, was discontinued.