Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#63677 by CADwk
Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:56 am
Hello DataCAD Pros.

I am trying to find out how you can edit an XREF in place. In other words, if I have imported an XREF into my drawing, how can I edit it without going back into the original XREF drawing itself? I want to be able to edit XREF's while working in the drawing that it was XREFed into.

I hope this makes sense. I am learning DataCAD but originally used AutoCAD for a few years.

Thanks,

CADwk :roll:
#63678 by MtnArch
Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:57 am
You can't do this in Dcad. Personally, I'm glad we can't - I can see why some would want to do this but I don't like it.
#63680 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:13 pm
MtnArch wrote:You can't do this in Dcad. Personally, I'm glad we can't - I can see why some would want to do this but I don't like it.

Alan:

Are you implying that Autocad can do this? I would think that the ability to edit XRefs in place would be very dangerous.

Dave
#63681 by MtnArch
Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 pm
Yes, AckCad can edit it in place ... kind of. What it does is open the xref but "dulls out" the original file's linework so you can still see or reference it. For me, I find it a little too cluttered - and if you have sloppy drafting in either file it makes things worse trying to make it right.
#63682 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:18 pm
Ah, okay. That makes a little more sense in that you are actually taking ownership of (opening) the XRef. Thanks for clarifying Alan!

Dave
#63683 by MtnArch
Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:10 pm
Just doin' my job, sir!