Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#63692 by CADwk
Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:50 am
How do I use the CLip Cube command in order to clip an XREF?

Thanks,

CADwk
#63693 by MtnArch
Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:59 am
CTRL-right click on the Xref, pick Xref Tools from the pop-up, then pick Xclip. From the side menu you can select Ignore Z (if you don't need to isolate a portion of the Xref in the Z direction), then New Cube, then Polyline, then start running your boundary. Once you've finished that, pick Clip On and only what's inside the boundary you select will be shown.
#63694 by CADwk
Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:05 am
Hello Mr.Hendry,

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a thorough explanation. I greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,

CADwk
#63695 by MtnArch
Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:57 pm
Any time! As I have always told me staff, there's no such thing as a stupid question (unless I've already explained it multiple times to them!) - so just ask!
#63696 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 pm
The nice things about the X-Clip is that it only applies to the XRef which lets you draft outside the clip. The clip can be a polyline; not just a rectangle.

Also, if you need to do a detail of part of a drawing, you can do a self-reference (very similar to an XRef) if you create a new layer to hold the self-reference, and then add some additional layers for text and dims and hatch etc. at the scale you want the detail to be. This saves having to copy/redraft anything already drawn, and if the main drawing changes, the detail will reflect those changes. You can then use this detail as a GTV and place it on an MSP sheet.