Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#63697 by fsoliver
Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:43 pm
Thought I would use Smart WAlls in my project and now I can't get them to clean properly and they are just acting squirrelly as compaired to the 2 1/2 d Lines I am use to. How can I convert the Smart Walls to 2 1/2 d so I can complete this project with some sanity. I am sure these Smart walls and entities are cool but I think I need more training. Is there a good place to find tutorials on the Smart Wall?
#63698 by Mark Toce
Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:22 pm
Click on "Extract 2D/3D" in the "Tools" pull-down menu. The "Extract" menu appears on the side. Leave "Extract 2D" toggled on to extract the 2D information from the smart objects, and leave "Extract 3D" toggled on to extract 3D information. You may toggle one or the other off if only 2D or only 3D information is needed.

Place an area box around all of the smart entities you wish to extract the information from, and then click "Continue" to proceed. DataCAD extracts the 2D and/or 3D information, depending upon the settings you configured previously.

The 2D information is placed on new layers that have the same name as the original layers, but with a "_2d_" suffix added. The 3D information is places on new layers that have the same name as the original layers, but with a "_3d_" suffix added.

This process is not destructive, so the original smart entities remain. Turn off the original layers and then turn on the new layers to edit the 2D and/or 3D information extracted from the smart entities.

There is a document titled "Smart Entities Tutorial" located in the DataCAD\Help\ folder on your hard drive that you can use to learn more about using smart entities.
#63699 by Roger D
Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:23 pm
I'd first recommend making sure the z-base/heights are all the same, this should help them clean. Change/Area and set the z-base/height.
Many times you need to double click next to the wall node number (if they are showing) and make sure Cap is not turned on, and that clean in on. Would be nice if one could do a change by area, but not yet (wish list item).
If you have the latest version, you can clean smart walls on different layers, but will have to do a "L" or "T" intersection on them.

If all else fails, go to the Tools/Extract 2d option and the program will extract all to a new layer_2d name.
#63701 by fsoliver
Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:32 pm
I can't find anything about extraction in the on line manual. I would still like to know how to exit smart walls instead of redrawing them when they don't act right. Meaning don't clean or cap as I have selected clean in the menu.

Why is the information on this so hard to find?

I do appriciate you guys help.
#63702 by Roger D
Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:34 am
Mark's instructions above are really all you need to extract or change the smart walls back to 2d lines.
To stop using Smart Walls, go to the Architect menu, and turn off the "Auto 3D" menu item.
#63703 by fsoliver
Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 am
Thanks and back to understanding and using Smart Walls. I find they close up over the cut doors when I move them to another layer so have to redo them and then I am using Smart Walls and drawing them like 2.5d walls by drawing them on each side of the door. I don't think I am ready for Smart Walls on a project but really would like to learn how they act and how to efficiently use them. Would someone point me in the direction of a tutorial and manual from DataCAD. I don't seem to find enough to train myself.
#63704 by fsoliver
Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 am
Seem like I am getting into trouble by putting my doors and windows on separate layers from each other and from the walls layer. I copy my existing smart walls to a remaining layer so that I can keep the existing and have the remaining layer to delete walls and add to my new layer to make the final design. This all works fine in 2.5d. When I move the smart walls to the new layer I loose the cuts that the door and windows make and when I try to cut them back out I get the 2.5d look. This has lead to some great frustration.
With Smart Walls do you guys leave your doors and windows on that same layer? When you copy layers does this same thing happen to you?
#63707 by fsoliver
Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:45 pm
Help, I can't see out of the windows of my smart house. Windows didn't cut wall and I have cut wall on.

So, with this situation how do you edit walls to put the window opening back in? OBTW you can see the window openings in datacad plan and iso but just not in o2c?/?
Attachments
House1.jpg
House1.jpg (109.74 KiB) Viewed 16431 times
#63708 by Roger D
Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:33 pm
In the latest version, there is a associatie command in the Architect menu, so you might have to (re)associate the wall to the doors & windows.
I think you can do this by area, will have to see when I dive back into a drawing.
#63712 by fsoliver
Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:03 pm
I don't have the latest version. I have 13 so don't have the associate command. I have done several smart wall tutorials and thought I could handle it but it is the editing of smart walls,windows and doors that get me. I just don't understand their behavior once drawn. I can result to redrawings but am not sure if that would even work. This is not good for smart entities in DataCAD. The silence of most of the DataCAD community in this very conversation makes me wonder if anyone is using them.
#63713 by Roger D
Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:25 pm
btwn spring break for many families and those that might be into the final 4, many may not be here today.

There have been some improvements since 13 in how smart walls have became better at the cleaning of interestions.
I have found the z-base/height to be the biggest issue, along with maybe a wall be slighting off zero or 90 degree.
Should work if you copy to layers for another floor, and then with both the wall and opening layer(s) on, move the z up to the next level helps. When you get multiple walls and windows at the same elevation, it does become hard.

Can you post a screen shot of the issues, maybe we can understand your issues beter.
#63715 by MtnArch
Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:23 pm
Realize, too, that you're asking for support on a version that's 3 down the line - and that some of your issues may have been addressed in those 3 versions that you didn't upgrade to.
#63732 by MtnArch
Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:21 pm
There are others who make use of the Smart features on all of their drawings (Mark Bell, for example) who could advise you much more than I can - but then they've also continued to upgrade and (as I stated before) they may not have the issues you are having because some of them have been resolved in the newer versions.