Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#64609 by Ted B
Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:05 pm
I've been using Datacad for years, and I have a very dumb question about something that peeves me.

For the sake of precision, I've been manually inputting distances and angles using the num-pad. <space> distance <CR> angle <CR> 8' 6-1/2" at 90-degrees.

For-instance, in laying-out an entire floorplan of corners, windows, doors and offsets, that's a lot of keystokes.

Is there a method to keyboard-in the distance, and indicate the direction using the arrow-keys or a mouse-gesture? Arrow-keys would be ideal since they adjacent to the num-pad.

I wondered about this since in Sketchup you can indicate and lock the 'axis' using the arrow-keys.

Since in residential construction almost everything is at right-angles, I spent an inordinate amount of finger-strokes typing-in "90', or '180' or '-90' to indicate direction. One reason I was thinking about a programmable gaming-keyboard is I could program m-keys for these common vector-directions

- Using Datacad version-13 in Windows 8.1, standard HP keyboard.
#64610 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:22 pm
Have you tried Direction/Distance input mode?

1. Enter a point
  2. Indicate the direction of the next point with the mouse
  3. Hit the [Spacebar]
  4. Enter the distance

Dave
#64611 by jimgoodman
Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:25 pm
My default input method - very cool indeed. :D

Just need to make sure the Ortho is on or you wind up with unexpected results.
#64612 by Robert Scott
Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:53 am
I've been using Dir/Dis input since it was offerered...versions ????.
It's brilliant. Works with standard increments like 0,45, 90, etc and also works in Tangent mode!

Robert
#66495 by Ted B
Sun May 31, 2015 12:36 am
I've been playing with it, but it only seems to work with lines and walls. For snap-points <~> and move/copy I get erratic results, and toggling back-n-forth between Dist/Dir and Rel. Polar isn't intuitive. Am I missing or adding a step?

While it's a lot of repetitive typing, I live and die with Snap-points and Rel. Polar for layout and drafting.