Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#65898 by Robert Scott
Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:24 pm
Can anyone direct me to a basic step by step primer for using Knockouts? I feel like this is a really handy tool but I'm spinning my wheels to get consistant and trustworthy results. I'm also trying to convince a long term V12 user to upgrade and I think he could really use Knockouts (he manually erases any interference with text).

Really surprised this isn't in the manual...

Robert
#65900 by joshhuggins
Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:11 am
What methods do you use to printout? WYSIWYG, Pen Sort?
#65901 by Robert Scott
Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:04 am
I've just made the jump from V12 to V17 so I can choose any method. My current file is set to WYSIWYG.
#65902 by Robert Scott
Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:26 am
Here's what I'm working on now that may help the discussion:

The timber frame (in green) is a polyline with knockout on:
The text was easy enough to figure out...I changed that either through the change menu or easier yet just double clicking to get to the text properties menu.

Should the green polyline be on a separate layer? In front or behind?
What about the associative hatch?

Robert
Attachments
KO.JPG
#65903 by Roger D
Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:01 am
For ease of editing, I would have the frame on it's own layer that's after the elevation. Also then you could you can turn that layer off and see the inner elevation.
I'd also have the assoc. dim on a layer after anything you would want the knockout to block.
#65904 by Robert Scott
Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:29 pm
Thanks Roger...good advice

Dumb question here: When you indicate "after" in the layer order your are referring to the layers as they appear in the Layer Manager? Since I have my layers set with a "filter" system they do differ. Not that the filter system couldn't be adjusted.
#65905 by Robert Scott
Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:56 pm
I'm now getting a reliable level of predictability using the layers in the order your suggested.
I did, however, need to move the frame to the front to make it totally effective. Is that the way it is suppose to work?
#65906 by Robert Scott
Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 pm
Spoke too early as I can't seem to get the settings to hold.

edit: I suspect I have a "buggy" drawing file that was created originally back in V8 and updated over the years. When I copied the three layers that make up my elevations to a clean file everything works as expected.