Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#5229 by boofredlay
Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:42 am
We have our title blocks and sidebar items set up as symbols.
However when I export the drawing to a dwg to use in SketchUp, the titleblock and some of the other symbols have some height to them.

For example the border is about 50' tall. But in plan view it is just 4 lines.

I know how to change the z height and base. I did that for the model and it "Flattened" out the plan. However the Symbols do not change.

I want to keep them as symbols but change them to true 2d, to save file size mainly.

Can you edit a symbol without exploding it?

Thanks.
#5231 by Nick Pyner
Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:28 am
Explode the symbol, flatten it, and then redefine the symbol. Unless you have good reasson to include them, you can export DWG with "on" layers opnly and leave the title block at home.
#5235 by boofredlay
Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:00 am
So there is no way to edit a symbol without exploding it first?
...like in AutoCAD how you can edit a block?

As far as exporting, I do not need the border. It is the DataCAD file I want to keep to a minimum.
#5247 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:45 pm
boofredlay wrote:We have our title blocks and sidebar items set up as symbols.
...For example the border is about 50' tall. But in plan view it is just 4 lines.

Hi Boof,
Have you thinked about to flatten your symbols to get them all ready for future exports or anything else ?

I want to keep them as symbols but change them to true 2d, to save file size mainly.

Actually there is no difference on file size among 2D or 3D simple entities. The case here can be not exactely this. If you don't need heights in your 2D drawing symbols you could have them ready.

Can you edit a symbol without exploding it?

Unfortunatelly, no. At least not yet. Unless if you have data as text attributes on your symbol.
Perhaps on the future we can have'em all manageable ?

As far as exporting, I do not need the border. It is the DataCAD file I want to keep to a minimum.

I just agree with you.

Thanks,
Miguel