Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#66460 by GuyS
Sat May 23, 2015 3:52 pm
Quite often I will import a pdf file and then trace over top of the pdf image. Problem is the image is "on top of" the layer I am drawing on and I can't see what I am drawing. Is there a way to put the pdf image on the layer underneath what I am drawing?
#66463 by joshhuggins
Sat May 23, 2015 6:57 pm
If the image is on the same layer you are drawing on, you need to use the Move, To Back/Behind command to move the image behind the other objects on the same layer. If the image is on another layer you have a couple of options, you can go to Display, Layer order, and set it to Last to always make sure the current layer you are working on draws last/on top of the display so all of that current layers entities are visible to work on. If it's set to In Order, it draws the entities on the screen in the order they are in the layer list starting with the first layer, drawing all of the objects on that layer based on their order first, then moving on to the next layer in the list stacking the entities on top as it goes. To use In Order, you have to make sure that the image layer is higher/before your current layer in the layer list in order to draw on top of it, and if your print setup is layer order sensitive, it could mess things up at print time if you don't verify your final layer order before printing. I prefer to use Last so I know I will always see what is on the layer I'm working on, and it does not affect my actual layer order. All these settings only effect the display order of the layers, printing is another set of options to manage. Let us know if you need more info on that.
Attachments
1-Layer Order.PNG
1-Layer Order.PNG (12.68 KiB) Viewed 6954 times
2-Display Modes.jpg
#66466 by GuyS
Sat May 23, 2015 7:30 pm
Josh
Thanks, your reply thoroughly explained all of the scenarios and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me...! It is amazing how powerful DataCAD is. I've been using it for years and I'd say almost every day I discover how to do things easier and faster.
#66468 by MtnArch
Sat May 23, 2015 11:36 pm
As always, Josh has a way to explain things in a clear, concise way! I learned from this too!

Thanks, Josh! :D