Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#67264 by B Woodward
Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:13 pm
This is a question relative to using a cloud server solution along with DataCad. Is it possible to have a file look for it's xrefs only within the immediate folder or sub-folders? The reason for this is that we are looking into using a cloud based file server solution for work away from the office and still maintain access to the files that are backed up locally on the server. If the entire pathname is required it seems we can do one or the other but not both. If we can set this up to where xrefs are looked for only in the local folder, then it doesn't matter where the folder itself resides and the world is a more wonderful place.

Thanks to whomever might have an answer.
#67265 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:50 pm
B Woodward wrote:This is a question relative to using a cloud server solution along with DataCad. Is it possible to have a file look for it's xrefs only within the immediate folder or sub-folders?
Yes it can work depending on the service used. Is there one in particular you are looking at? The smoothness of the connection speed and the transparency of the cloud storage server to the operating system will play a part, but it should work if the cloud server is up to the task. Mapping the cloud storage to a network drive is a very nice option and helps smooth things out if available.
#67266 by B Woodward
Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:14 pm
I'm looking at using Egnyte as my cloud server solution. They come with a good recommendation from one of my structural consultants and cost for capacity and features is reasonable. The only problem is that we use xrefs quite a lot and my consultant doesn't, so our potential problems aren't the same as theirs. Connection speed at the main location will be quite good (75 down 10 up). Other locations will vary but I'm working on that also.

If anyone has a suggestion of a service that works well I'd like to hear about it. The real issue though is pathnames not quality of connection, that I know how to deal with.

I need to be able to have a folder with all that jobs DataCad files in with subfolders for referenced detail drawings that works the same whether it's on drive C: or drive Z: or whatever.

Thanks
#67268 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:13 am
Looks like Egnyte should work fine as a UNC path or a mapped drive using their Map Drive app. They have a free trial, I'd give that a whirl.
#67270 by B Woodward
Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:44 am
I'm pretty sure that Egnyte will work as a cloud server. The issue is how to get DataCad to find the xrefs no matter what the root drive is. I have a fairly deep folder structure and need to have DataCad files find their xrefs.

Currently a typical xref location might be Z:\13-C103 MMI Elevator\4 WA Drawings\4-1 Dcad\Details\MMI-AP-1.aec

The drawing: Z:\13-C103 MMI Elevator\4 WA Drawings\4-1 Dcad\MMI-D1.aec

I would like this to work whether the root is Z:\ or C:\A-Projects\ or whatever I come up with. If, the way things are set up now, I move the file to my C: drive I lose connection to all xrefs.

This is the issue not the server per se.
#67271 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:02 am
You should be able to accomplish this by changing your XREFs Base Path in the Preferences dialog.

Dave
#67272 by B Woodward
Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:34 am
It seems as though this has something to do with "xrefbasepath" and in the forum there is only one thread about this that I can find. It doesn't explain how this works though and the thread is from 2007. The thread also mentions this being possibly fixed in next release which would have been around DataCad13 or 14.

Does anyone know how to use "xrefbasepath"? Where can I get information on this? I've looked online and cannot find anything.

Thanks,
#67273 by B Woodward
Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:04 pm
OK, I can get the file to find any xref within the same folder but not a sub-folder of that location. I need this to work so that things can be kept organized. Details in one folder, Logo images in another, etc.