Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#67347 by The Canuck
Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:24 am
A local millwork company has provided me with all of their millwork in a .dwg format. I would like to import those to my symbol browser to have them readily available to bring into my drawings. Is there a way that I can do multiple conversions or some way that I can transfer/convert them all to .dsf - which seems to be the format type that the symbols are saved as. Or do I need to do each one individually?
#67348 by joshhuggins
Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:37 pm
Unfortunately you have to open each DWG and save it to a DSF file. A DWG/AEC/DXF to DSF converter would be awesome!
Attachments
symconvert.png
symconvert.png (28.12 KiB) Viewed 7679 times
#67349 by The Canuck
Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:50 pm
Thats what I figured... but then again, there is so much of DataCAD that I don't use or take advantage of, I figured someone here might know.

By the way Josh.... what is the program or function you are showing there?
#67350 by joshhuggins
Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:09 pm
It was just a mock-up for this wish I made years ago.
#67357 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:37 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:At the very least, you would have to select the insertion point, and you will probably need to edit the colors - so an automatic process would not be feasible, really.
The Insertion point would just be at Absolute Zero I would think. My mock up shows an option to use the Drawing Center point, but that would kind of be moot now that we have the By Center option while inserting symbols. As for the recoloring, your right, it would take time but we could do that as we go along and use them. Getting them into Symbols via an importer like this so they are easily browseable would still be a HUGE speed improvement and very useful when you need to start working with a new product line.
#67358 by The Canuck
Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:41 am
I agree with both of you. No matter what you would do, there would have to be some sort of adjustments that would need to be done. But half the battle would be just getting them into the symbol browser as Josh mentioned. Either that or I need to find an intern this winter or next summer. lol.