Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#67622 by fsoliver
Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:43 pm
I imported a DWG file that crashes back to the DataCAD startup screen when I try to save a GTV. The file hasn't let me save GTV yet. Do I save each layer out and start a new file? What is the LATEST best way to clean up the file to save GTVs and not crash?
#67623 by Roger D
Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:22 pm
I'd save the file, then also do a file/purge/save as New.aec saving the views and MSP that you have. Then see if the new file you can then save views.
Make sure you do not have any duplicate layer names.
If not, you could also try saving the GTV you want, but first, using layer manager, turn off all layers with zero entities.
After that it will be trial and error with many crashes, but try to save the GTV you want, but each time turning off one of the layers that was imported from the dwg. There is a bad entity somewhere there.
If there are many layers involved, try turning off 10 first, then another 10. You are trying to narrow down to the bad layer.

If you subscribe to the Subscription Edition of Dcad, you can send the file in to tech support where they can probably find the bad layer fairly quickly.
#67624 by fsoliver
Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:56 am
Am using DataCAD version 16.04.00.04(PE) and this problem is present on a new file. What is up with that. Doesn't effect good old files. Should I go back a version of DataCAD?
#67625 by fsoliver
Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:43 am
uninstalled DataCAD and reinstalled and that didn't help. I followed a suggestion I saw on this forum about going back a version of Windows 10 so I did that. I now have it running normally.

Thanks
#67626 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:12 pm
I have the same problem and this is an absolute SHOW STOPPER. I have a new project that I have just started and just discovered that I can NOT create any go to views! The previous thread about the function keys crashing Datacad has NOT been an issue for me so far, but this one is like crashing into a brick wall. I am also running the November update (Threshold 2) of Windows 10, but going back isn't really an option - unless it's back to Win 8.1 on my old HDD - which I m loathe to do - I like this version of windows 10. Please come up with a fix for this!