Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#68262 by Ted B
Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:59 am
I'm in the middle of upgrading to Datacad-18 and I'm about to do a little customizing of the toolbars, mostly productivity-related commands that I've used in previous versions. I'd like to add some standard icons to the new pull-down commands, but I can't seem to remember where and what the .bmp icons files are to select-from. Years ago I had a few printed-out pages of the icons-then and thumbnails of what they looked-like. I know there are a lot of toolbar icons that you don't see-used on the standard toolbars that I might "borrow"; arrows, editing, drawing, text, etc...

Otherwise, so-far the change-over has been going smoothly.

I'm looking forwards to the greater integration and interoperability between Datacad-18 and Sketchup/Layout-2015.
#68274 by joshhuggins
Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:47 pm
Hi Ted,

So in order to use custom icons you first need to have the following dcadwin.ini value set.
Code: Select all[KeyFile]
Use External Icons=True

As for the icons themselves, they have been upgraded to PNG's which support alpha channel transparency. I have a bunch of icons on my site that I have added over the years. Some are looking a little long in the tooth these days, but they might give you a good starting point. Originally I used the 24x24 pixel versions, but now that our monitors are getting higher resolutions/pixel density, I am in the process of recreating/making new 32x32 icons, which look a lot sharper on high res screens. When I get them at a decent point, I'll toss them up to share.

To get the toolbar icons to show up in a directory, I know if you do a custom install, there is an option to have them installed. I would imagine that the Full install would install them as well, but I haven't verified that. They should default to the Support Files\Toolbars folder. There should be 16x 24x & 32x versions for each icon. Usually if an icon only has a single size like 16x, they are used for things like the Layer Manager. In order to change the icons in the Layer Manager, you have to have the following dcadwin.ini line
Code: Select all[Layer Manager]
ReadBitmaps=TRUE
#68276 by Ted B
Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 pm
Is there a way to see the standard Datacad toolbar icons?

I'd rather not have to make new custom icons. I was hoping to use std. icons in my modified 'Draw' and 'Edit' Toolbars once I had an idea what they look like and their respective bitmap-names. I suspect they are hidden files within Datacad. Is there an external graphic or compilation of the standard Datacad-18 icons somewhere? One of my old Datacad Manuals had an icons bitmap cheat-sheet in an appendix in the back, but I have no idea where it might be after 10-15 years. I just need the file-names for the appropriate icon bitmaps.

Josh,
Your page about toolbars opens, but the icons-link comes-up "page not found" on my browser.
#68280 by joshhuggins
Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:24 am
Ted B wrote:Is there a way to see the standard Datacad toolbar icons?
If you go to Windows Control panel, Programs and Features, and select Datacad in the list, at the top there is a change, it will launch the Datacad installer.
pgs.PNG
Once it's up, select modify, and select the Toolbar Icons.
tbbits.PNG
tbbits.PNG (20.07 KiB) Viewed 11006 times
Finish the installer. The icons should now be in your Support Files\Toolbars folder.

Ted B wrote:I was hoping to use std. icons in my modified 'Draw' and 'Edit' Toolbars once I had an idea what they look like and their respective bitmap-names.
I don't recall if additional toolbars can list those icons and have them read from the internal source or not, I've always just used the dcadwini.ini line
Code: Select all[KeyFile]
Use External Icons=True
so I know what I can see in the folder is what I am going to get.

Ted B wrote:Your page about toolbars opens, but the icons-link comes-up "page not found" on my browser.
Sorry, had a typo in the link, it's fixed now.
#68457 by joshhuggins
Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:42 pm
I have updated most of my toolbar icons to 32x for anyone who might be a nerd like me too, but pretty sure I'm the only one. :)
#68459 by jimgoodman
Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 am
joshhuggins wrote:I have updated most of my toolbar icons to 32x for anyone who might be a nerd like me too, but pretty sure I'm the only one. :)

You're not the only one - I have been riding your nerdmobile for many years. I will give these a spin this weekend. :roll:
#68474 by jimgoodman
Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:54 am
Josh: Great work as always - these are very cool indeed.
Thanks for being the head DataCAD nerd.