Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#68732 by joshhuggins
Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:47 am
I thought I might have a macro that might offset a point a specific distance along an arc, but I can't seem to find a way to do this. Anyone have any ideas how I might be able to do this?
#68742 by Mark Bell
Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:07 pm
Hi Josh,

What I usually do is add a circle by centre with the radius of the circle set to the offset distance you want and where the two cross will give you the point along the arc as a linear offset....I think you'll already know this.

The only things that come to mind for locating a point around an arc is using some of the commands in the Curves menu - say centre-arc (F4) which allows you to enter the start of the arc (known), its radius (known) and the arc length (your offset distance).

Other possible options to play with:

1. Alt + D to divide an arc into divisions where you know the full arc length and then the portion of arc (offset distance) and doing some maths to get to divisional point along the arc - this is limited to whole numbers so most likely too restrictive,

2. Circular array where you know the centre and radius and can check the angle between the two points but isn't a quick solution given you have to draw some setout lines first,

....maybe this should be added as a wishlist?
#68743 by Mark Bell
Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:09 pm
...the wishlist could be as simple as amended the Divide / F4 Div + Dist option to include arcs so that your offset distance part of the distance option?
#68750 by joshhuggins
Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:36 am
Hmmm gave me lots to think about there Mark. Will have to play on Monday, thanks!