Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#71601 by Roger D
Tue May 30, 2017 3:35 pm
Is there a way while making a polyline to see the overall length as it is being created. The display currently shows the length from the last node, I'd like to see the length from the beginning as I walk back from an exit door.
#71602 by joshhuggins
Tue May 30, 2017 4:18 pm
Roger D wrote:Is there a way while making a polyline to see the overall length as it is being created. The display currently shows the length from the last node, I'd like to see the length from the beginning as I walk back from an exit door.
This would be handy. I have had to tweak, id, tweak id. To have it's display be dynamic while creating would be really nice. Would probably need to have the info that shows up in the Cords/Hints normally when id'ing show up in the attention bar so we can still see the cords/hints while creating. Hmmm, or thinking about this a bit more, maybe Cords (x/y/a/d/zb/zh) should be it's own toolbar and Hints it's own then you could still id entities and still see the cord info? [NoobSpeaking] seems like it would be easy to pull the cords out and dump into a new toolbar so the hint info wouldn't need to all be re-tagreted to a new toolbar. [/NoobSpeaking]
#71603 by Roger D
Tue May 30, 2017 7:04 pm
Current the x, y, angle, distance is displayed dynamically, maybe for a polyline, it could add overall?
#71941 by Evan Shu
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:03 pm
Hi Roger,

Have you checked out the CTW macro by John Fornaro:
P167 (Internet Deliverable)
Travel Distance Macro by John Fornaro, D/P Associates. Macro which calculates the travel distance down exit corridors, etc. via a point and shoot fashion. Each leg is drawn along with its length displayed and the total distance calculated at the end of the run. $10.00

Could probably do what you are looking for?

Evan
#71946 by Roger D
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:08 pm
That's one I don't have.
Do you know if that shows the current distance dynamically, that is as I am moving the cursor, the read out constantly changes for the total length.

The current polyline draw command reads out the current leg dynamically, and at the end you can identify it for the total length.
#71947 by dhs
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:35 pm
Whilst this is not really it's intended purpose, I have a macro under development that will display the total length as a polyline is being drawn (but not as you move the cursor) provided that the polyline is all straight edges (no bulges).
The macro is an Offset macro, but it could be used to draw a polyline from the points entered by setting the offset to zero. It is currently in development and in it's current form will only draw chains of 2d lines or vertical polygons (there are a couple of polyline options on the menu, but there is no code associated with them as yet).
The polyline options should be finished in the next few weeks and the final macro released then. In the meantime you could look at it using the 2D line option to see if it would fulfil your need. It is a Delphi macro (dmx file) and the current beta can be downloaded from http://www.dhsoftware.com.au/downloads/Offset.zip if you are interested in looking at it (I would be grateful to receive comments/suggestions from anybody that does look at it).

Regards,
David H.
#71949 by jimgoodman
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:15 am
I use the original dHOffset on a daily basis. I even have a keyboard interrupt setup for it. Looking forward to the 2017 version.
#71950 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Roger D wrote:Is there a way while making a polyline to see the overall length as it is being created. The display currently shows the length from the last node, I'd like to see the length from the beginning as I walk back from an exit door.

Stay tuned, I just prototyped this for the next Subscription update. And yes Roger, it is updated dynamically with the cursor (including arc lengths).
PolyLength.JPG

Dave
#71956 by Mark Bell
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:56 am
Dave G wrote "Stay tuned, I just prototyped this for the next Subscription update. And yes Roger, it is updated dynamically with the cursor (including arc lengths)."

....Nice one :D