Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#71629 by George W. Burns CPBD
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:13 pm
Hey y'all. I am slowly but surly migrating over full time from hand drawing to DataCad19. I know how AutoCad does it.... with "Paperspace." Is there something similar in DataCad, like using GoToViews, and if so, is there a tutorial so I can watch and learn? Just to be clear, I'm talking about like putting your foundation sectional details at 3/4" = 1'-0" on the same sheet as the 1/4" = 1'-0" foundation plan. I've done it before years ago with DataCad8.05 by "enlarge" on the individual details, but this is not a good solution, since the dimensions will no longer work once you disassociate them and blow them up.
Thanks,
George
#71630 by Roger D
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:21 pm
Very simple. Make sure your GTV is set up with the correct layers and scale.
In the Plot Layout mode, use MultiLayout, and take each GTV and place on the sheet, make sure "linked" is selected, and make sure you enter the name.
If you add/delete a layer to the GTV, it is also changed in the Plot Detail.
#71647 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:06 am
Hi George,

Yes - it is called MultiScale Plotting or MSP for short. Roger is correct - save GTV's with the correct plot scale set, and when you place a linked GTV as an MSP "detail", in the Multilayout menu in Print / Plot.

The key thing is to go to the Tools / Program Preferences / Misc and on the right side just below halfway in the dialog, toggle ON the setting Current Plot Scale Saved with GoTo Views. If a GTV has the wrong plot scale setting, change it to the correct scale - and Update the GTV.
#71654 by Ted B
Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:48 am
If you just have a handful of details at an atypical scale, I usually just use a enlarged or reduced Xref or Self-Xref. You need to remember that any associative dimensions have to be in the original drawing element, not on-top-of the Xref.

Since I don't use Datacad every day, I've never really gotten comfortable with Multi-scale plotting. It just doesn't fit-in with my drafting-style in how I lay-out my drawings and drawing files. My final construction drawings are a collection of Datacad drawings, Sketchup Layout drawings and OpenOffice pages -- all printed to individual .PDF pages then collated with PDFTools into one master .PDF file for submittal.
#72820 by ORWoody
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:39 am
I'm not a guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I've developed a pretty good way of doing what you seem to want to do.
I use exactly what Ted described and it works very well. I'd previously used multi-scale plotting on my own projects, but now I work with several ex-acad users and they seem to resist multi-scale plotting, but really jump on to XRefs and SelfRefs.
If you're still interested in getting a bit of information about how someone else uses them, let me know directly at orwoody@gmail.com. I'll work up a little tutorial for you and if it smooths out your bumps, we can put it into the forum here. I've never done anything for YouTube so that would likely be a disaster from the get-go.
Woody
#72885 by Ted B
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am
While CAD purists might object, I've always tiled my construction drawing-sheets within the AEC cad-file. Or several AEC cad-files; one for the large-scale floor-plans, elevations and sections. And one for the small-scale construction details with each drawing-sheet "page" tiled across the screen with it's own titleblock and sheet-number. For floor-plans I do use layers and GoToView so that I can toogle from base floor-plan to dimensioned and annotated plan or to electrical or other specialty-drawing over the same base-floor-plan sheet.

The final construction documents are issued after individually .pdf-plotting each sheet to full-scale, then compiling all the separate sheets into one multi-page .pdf-file using my PDF-utility for final issue and record..