Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#75841 by PaulR
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:55 am
Hi All,

On previous versions of Dcad, I was able to turn the boundary box off when inserting or resizing paragraph text. Can't seem to find the setting on V 21. I have this line in my dcadwin.ini file- Show PText/MText Boundary On Entry/Resize=False. Whether true or false, the boundary box still shows. I REALLY don't like it :-) Is there a setting somewhere else that I need to change? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Paul
#75843 by Roger D
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:31 pm
I think he is referring to the "fix" from Rev History
DataCAD 20.03.00 Fixes
18. The following DCADWIN.ini keys are no longer used as these settings have been
permanently set to TRUE.
[General]
KB4054518=TRUE
New Regen=TRUE
NewSymbolExtents=TRUE
Show PText/Mtext Boundary On Entry/Resize=TRUE

Personally I don't like the fix, but if it's a must, I would change defaults to make the boundary line color to match the screen background and live with it.
#75845 by PaulR
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:48 am
I agree with Roger about the box color matching the screen color if there has to be a box. Why would Dcad “fix” something that wasn’t broken? This is not a small item for me. It’s screen clutter. As I'm placing or resizing text, the boundary box gets really wide even though no text gets anywhere near the right and left boundaries of the box.

I’d like to know the reasoning behind it because it escapes me. This is not a fix. And, if the "lines below" are permanently set to True, then why are the lines still in the dcadwin.ini file that can be set t False?
#75847 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:07 pm
PaulR wrote: the boundary box gets really wide even though no text gets anywhere near the right and left boundaries of the box. I’d like to know the reasoning behind it because it escapes me.
I would guess your margins are set really large.

PaulR wrote: And, if the "lines below" are permanently set to True, then why are the lines still in the dcadwin.ini file that can be set t False?
They don't delete the lines (I don't think) with the updates. I think they are just letting you know they are obsolete and can be removed by the user.
#75848 by PaulR
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:17 pm
Ok, Josh, I'll bite. How do you change the margins? Never needed to know how to do it before since I never displayed the box. Still don't know how displaying the box is a fix. Would appreciate some input from Dcad here. Thanks.
#75850 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:54 pm
PaulR wrote:How do you change the margins?
It's in the P/MText menus at position F3.
#75852 by Roger D
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:10 pm
If you don't need to have the text wrap, just a single line of text, just hit enter. So in PText, you've entered the text, Ctrl-enter/enter and you will not see the box.
Now if you need to resize or have the text wrap to multiple line, you will see the boundary box.
#75868 by PaulR
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 pm
I do need the text to wrap, but thanks for the reply. Can anyone tell me why the box needs to be visible? It's worked just fine for years without it, so why the change?
#75884 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:37 pm
"I’d like to know the reasoning behind it because it escapes me. This is not a fix. And, if the "lines below" are permanently set to True, then why are the lines still in the dcadwin.ini file that can be set to False?"

The following key in DCADWIN.ini (along with several other documented and undocumented keys) was a casualty of cleaning up and removing outdated source code. When Dave and I discussed it at the time, we were both certain it would be 'helpful' to display the bounding box while PText and MText entities are being sized/re-sized. Obviously, we were mistaken. Now that the blame analysis is complete, the following key will be restored in the next update to DataCAD 21. :oops:

It's too bad no one noticed it three months ago in my original post for DataCAD 20.03.00 BETA 1 on December 08, 2018. :roll:

[General]
Show PText/MText Boundary On Entry/Resize=FALSE
#75887 by jimgoodman
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:56 pm
FWIW, I did notice this new "feature" when first introduced.
I initially found the bounding box to be annoying, but after a few weeks, I have grown to love it and wouldn't work without it. :D
Always good to have the option however.