Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#76145 by Tiffany
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 pm
Hey all!

I've been working on a small model I want to print on a FlashForge Finder 3d Printer. It is a business card holder with our company logo on the top with a cut out to slide a card out of one end.

The printers software will load up my STL model, but the scale is wonky - it imports extremely small. I can size it up using the Flash Print software, but when I load it for actual printing, it ends up being to small to print again.

I've double checked my scale - I'm drawing in mm which is the native unit to my 3d printer. My model's shell thicknesses are intended to be 2mm min, per researching how on best practices for making my own 3d models...

Has anyone else ventured into 3d printing using DataCAD to build the models? Any advice? Not sure if I am missing a key step or something. Just about everything I've printed off of thingiverse import and load on the build plate with no problems.

I did have one previous model work, which I put together in under an hour that printed OK. But that was just slapping slabs together to come up with my final shape - an unimpressive rectangle with slots through it lol.
#76167 by Tiffany
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:10 pm
Yes, the .stl file is what I've been working with.
I think it just doesn't export with the overall size of the model, but I'm getting much more used to moving around and using the metric system, just need to resize it before printing.

Redid my model and loaded it to the build plate - when I get home I'll start the print and tomorrow will have photo's of what ever comes out!

Editing out a link that did not work - website forces you to sign up and log in before it will let you look at anyone's models...
#76181 by Tiffany
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:06 pm
https://polar3d.com/objects//318620
Still not certain if this link will work without signing up (you can if you want, but I find it annoying when websites force you to sign up just to look around...)

I will make another version and tweak a few things, but over all I feel pretty good about this, it fits my business card just like it is supposed to!
Attachments
20190403_120737.jpg