Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#77890 by joeferguson
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:37 pm
I'm sure this question has been addressed before, but I don't know how to ask the question in a format the forum understands.

I have two or more lines in a drawing that are placed exactly on top of each other. How do I cycle through them to place a particular line on top?

Thanks

joe
#77891 by ORWoody
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:10 pm
Joe:
Your question was perfectly logical. No problem.
Since this is CAD, there is no real on top like there would be with a hand drawn drawing. What there is though, is locations, earlier or later in the database. That is why when you do a search the order of identification is consistent. What you could do to reorder those lines is cut and paste back into the original location.
It might not help if your intent is to be able to edit the "later" line without first "adjusting the location" of the earlier line. That might take a bit of experimenting to fix the order for the search.
Good luck,
Woody
#77892 by Mark Bell
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:13 pm
Some other considerations - if you place the lines on different layers, and you have Display/Layer Order set to F2 Last, the current/active layer will be drawn last (on top) of the other line(s). You can also use the Move Entities Front/Back toolbar icon to move one line forward/backward over the other, and as Woody noted, using cut and paste (by origin) to paste the line back will store it later in the drawing database so it resides on top.
#77895 by MtnArch
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:19 am
Mark - isn't the Move Entities Front/Back limited to what's in that layer and not what's on other layers?
#77901 by Mark Bell
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:40 pm
Hello Alan,

I think you're right but I still move entities forward/backward even when I'm on another layer - with Layer Search on.