Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#77929 by Nathan179
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:41 pm
I have run into this a few times lately and was hoping someone might have a solution for it. I would like the default action of a right click to be to return to the edit menu instead of returning to the last tool used. For example: If I use a 2 line trim and go immediately to a 1 line trim, I would like a single right click to take me straight back to edit without going back through the 2 line trim. If I remember right, Datacad used to function this way and changed a few versions ago. It has been slightly annoying in certain situations ever since. Currently if I switch between several tools without returning to the edit menu in between, it can take several right clicks to get back to edit. I know I can press the semicolon key to achieve this action, but a right click is more convenient. Is there any way to change this?
#77930 by RParker
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:23 pm
Not sure if that can work BUT an easy solution is a new mouse. I have a Logitech M510 (very inexpensive and fits my hand) that has 2 programmable side buttons. You can set them to do whatever you want.
#77931 by Nathan179
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:46 pm
While not really what I was hoping for, it does raise the question if I can program the buttons on a new mouse to do what I want, why couldn't I do it on my current mouse? I have been cruising around in the preferences, and I don't see any ability to assign mouse functions. But there are plenty of keyboard functions. I even got my spacemouse to allow me to pan and zoom. The mouse right-click seems to be non-modifiable though. Maybe with software, but not really what I want.
#77933 by joshhuggins
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:12 am
Nathan179 wrote:it does raise the question if I can program the buttons on a new mouse to do what I want, why couldn't I do it on my current mouse?
Might be able to, what mouse do you have?
#77954 by Nathan179
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:16 am
Unfortunately I have a non-programmable wired mouse. I never liked the connection issues with the bluetooth mice and even when they were connected there always seems to be a lag. I know about the colon/semicolon shortcut as I mentioned before. As I said in my OP, I thought previous versions of Datacad used to function the way I am describing. I thought there might be and easy setting change or an .mcr or.ini modification. Maybe I am just mistaken. If it isn't an easy setting adjustment, I will just soldier on with it this way. Thanks for the responses.
#77957 by Mark Bell
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:45 pm
The only other thing that comes to mind is to see whether you can get back copies of CheapTricks as there may be something hidden in one of the issues?
#77958 by Roger D
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:27 pm
I wonder what key words in addition to "right-click" could be searched with, since I'd guess that is in many issues of CT.
#77959 by Mark Bell
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:05 pm
I recall there were at least 1 or 2 issues on mouse and other input devices and there were frequent articles on programming tips, so these could be a possible starting point?
#77963 by Nathan179
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:54 pm
What little I could find on cheap tricks only turned up the page with action codes and internal commands http://world.std.com/~eshu/dbug/feb97cht.htm. I'm not sure it is worth the subscription to figure this one out. It is annoying but not the end of the world. I tried searching this forum with various "right-click" themed searches and came up with nothing. Thanks again for the replies.
#77964 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:24 am
I am fairly certain that this behavior is part of DataCAD's "DNA" so to speak. All our working habits depend on this to work this way. It goes along with the text-based menus, and to change it "inside" the program is probably next to impossible.

A new mouse, or a keyboard shortcut (which are also deeply embedded in the way DataCAD is set up) would let you get things to work the way you want; but not change it for the rest of us. :)
#77967 by Paul Nida
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:31 am
I have been using DataCAD since version 3 and as far as I can tell this works the same way it always has. In fact I just went back to version 14 and compared it to version 21 using your 2 line trim, 1 line trim example and they both worked exactly the same. If fact you can't go directly from 2 line trim to 1 line trim without the use of a keyboard short cut, which I used. So, I don't see the problem with using another keyboard macro to get directly back to edit menu. Frankly I am in the habit of using multiple right clicks anyway. It's not that hard.