Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#78436 by seasdes
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:08 am
I have 3 Smart Walls connecting at a corner. Any ideas how I can clean up the line shown in the graphic?

ScreenShot00155_1.jpg
#78496 by Mark Bell
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:41 am
If the top vertical wall is at a different z-b/z-h than the other walls then the horizontal wall will show its edge where it meets the top vertical wall. If the 3 walls are all the same height, try welding the two verticals then 1-line trim back to the side of the new vertical wall to create a T-joint which should clean correctly.
#78497 by Mark Bell
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:00 am
oops, see what you've done, using 2 different wall types. If you draw the lower vertical and horizontal to create the corner, then on the other wall type snap the wall width across from the corner and draw the upper vertical wall in the opposite direction.

First vertical wall = 1-2 then 3 to place,
Second horizontal wall = 3-4 then 5 to place,
Third vertical wall - 6-7 then 8 to place.

Clean = On, Cap = Off in the Architect menu

080320d.jpg
#78499 by seasdes
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:16 pm
Mark Bell wrote:oops, see what you've done, using 2 different wall types. If you draw the lower vertical and horizontal to create the corner, then on the other wall type snap the wall width across from the corner and draw the upper vertical wall in the opposite direction.

First vertical wall = 1-2 then 3 to place,
Second horizontal wall = 3-4 then 5 to place,
Third vertical wall - 6-7 then 8 to place.

Clean = On, Cap = Off in the Architect menu

The attachment 080320d.jpg is no longer available

Thanks Mark
However, your method does not work with my file. A sample file is attached.
Attachments
(10.91 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
#78500 by Mark Bell
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:04 am
Okay, I see the problem now using 4 line walls. I thought the inner and outer were two separate wall types. All I can suggest is to create a covered polyline without outline on, and match the fill colour to the wall fill colour and place it over the wall junction which should print as you need. Not ideal, but a work around in this case.
#78501 by seasdes
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:18 am
Mark Bell wrote:Okay, I see the problem now using 4 line walls. I thought the inner and outer were two separate wall types. All I can suggest is to create a covered polyline without outline on, and match the fill colour to the wall fill colour and place it over the wall junction which should print as you need. Not ideal, but a work around in this case.

Thanks Mark.

That's what I have been doing. Just checking to see if anyone has a better idea.

The only other option that I can think of is to use plain walls without cavities and hatching and draw them manually later.
#78502 by Mark Bell
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:31 am
I presume you're using smart entities to create a 3D/2D model to get your elevations etc. and not just for plan drawings? If so, wouldn't the outer wall be set down at the slab edge requiring 2 separate wall types which could then achieve the cleanup you need.
#78503 by seasdes
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:40 am
Mark Bell wrote:I presume you're using smart entities to create a 3D/2D model to get your elevations etc. and not just for plan drawings? If so, wouldn't the outer wall be set down at the slab edge requiring 2 separate wall types which could then achieve the cleanup you need.

Strictly speaking - yes it should. I just adjust sections manually. I suppose I could model cavity walls as separate walls for the brick and timber component. Then it becomes more difficult to place windows and dors.
#78507 by Mark Bell
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:44 am
seasdes wrote:Strictly speaking - yes it should. I just adjust sections manually. I suppose I could model cavity walls as separate walls for the brick and timber component. Then it becomes more difficult to place windows and dors.

Okay, I've found some work which uses double brick which is similar to the brick veneer you're working with and in the screen shots below the outer and inner walls are separate. I used a smart window with all the settings turned off to create a 'void/opening' to cut the wall but not show anything.
SS below shows the inner wall selected with smart doors (custom) straddling the cavity.
080520a.jpg

The is an example of the "blank window" zb=0/zh=2100 using a fixed unit type with all settings/tabs turned off to create a 'cutout' smart 'window' for the sill/head settings. First insert the smart door in either the inside or outside wall.
080520h.jpg

Then insert a "blank" window in the opposite wall matching the opening width. This matches the door opening dimensions.
080520g.jpg
#78508 by Mark Bell
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:52 am
Then move the door midway between the two walls which will self-heal the wall the door was in once it moves.
080520d.jpg

Then use Move and Copy with Area to copy the smart 'window' cutout from the top wall to the bottom wall which will auto cut as it inserts into the wall creating the second opening.
080520e.jpg

O2C view with and without doors in place showing the smart 'windows' cutout in both walls.
080520f.jpg

If you model the inner and outer walls as separate wall types it gives you more flexibility to use correct z-b/z-h values and better cleanups and using the above, the ability to use smart doors and windows in walls with cavities.
Hope this helps.