Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#79456 by 1966Mustang
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 am
Hello,

So, I have an old dcad 11 pro - I am thinking about upgrading because it will not run on Windows 10, plus I like to support the products I truly like. (I do not have a job that requires cad currently/sadly)

Anyway, I am working on a small renovation to our house - adding a room - it was going to be a sunroom... then a 3 season. It's going to be a regular room now. So, picture a 16x22 box attached to the back of my house with a lot of windows and a door to a patio.

Screenshot from 2021-03-18 09-24-31.png

I guess my question is - as far as workflow, I normally start with the 2D plan, then add layers for the 3d/elevation views. But, what is the 'best' tool to define studs/joists and windows/doors?

Thanks,

Perry
#79486 by Mark Bell
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:47 am
The way you've done seems fine. I guess it depends on how you 're-use' the 3D info for your 2D documentation. Another option would be to model them using smart entities which would also allow you to insert 2D/3D doors/windows that display correctly in each view. If the 3D slabs used in your model have their line colours set to your print settings, then it should print with the right line weights as though drawn in 2D.