Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#80446 by joeferguson
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:10 pm
I have a few entities that I cannot erase using erase - area. They will erase using erase-entity and erase-group.

Yes, I checked Layer Search and it is on. All the entities identify as lines. I am in the 2D menu.

Any ideas what I have done? It used to work..

joe ferguson
DC21
#80447 by MtnArch
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:39 pm
Do they have Z heights that may not being picked up with the area? A long shot (and you may already do this), have you tried crossing instead of just a window?
#80449 by joeferguson
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:13 pm
Thanks for your response, Alan. Not sure what you mean by crossing instead of just a window? When using erase-area, I use an expanding box (both directions) to surround the area I want erased. No luck. Also used the F1 command while crossing. No luck.

And I checked z-heights. All my z-heights are zero.

Here's another clue: I have now identified 4 layers that exhibit the same behaviour -- entities won't respond to erase-area, also they won't respond to the stretch command. Or change color command (by area. they will change by entity)

I picked 4 other layers that will respond to the above. So it seems to be a layer issue but I have studied these 8 layers in the layer manager and can't see a difference.

Any other place I should be looking?
#80452 by joeferguson
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:09 pm
It only gets worse today.

Today I tried to isolate the corrupted layers and replace them with ones that work.

In the process I ended up with a blank screen.

Turned layers to All On, pressed Zoom Extents and received this error message: "Invalid zoom window defined"

My layer Manager tells me I have about 2000 entities over a couple dozen layers but I have a blank screen.

Naturally I'm on a deadline. I tried a reboot, I can access previously saved files, but still have the corrupted layer issue.

Next step? I'll try reinstalling DC after I take a walk around the block and think about it.
#80453 by joshhuggins
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:33 pm
Try creating a new blank drawing, then use the File, Import option and import your troubled file and see if it loads up. If it loads fine, close and save to a new file. Then use the File, Repair tool on new file and see if that can clean it up a bit more. If your file loads up after the repair try working with that file. If you get hung up, let us know and then you can try to use the purge tool next to remove suspected trouble layers.
#80455 by MtnArch
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:43 pm
I believe Dave G. built the selection window similar to Acad - that if you click and drag to the right it acts as a window and selects everything that is inside of the window; if you click and drag to the left it will select everything that the box crosses (though I believe symbols and dimensions have to have their insertion points and dim points inside the box?). That's what I meant with my crossing comment.
#80457 by joshhuggins
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:05 pm
MtnArch wrote:I believe Dave G. built the selection window similar to Acad - that if you click and drag to the right it acts as a window and selects everything that is inside of the window; if you click and drag to the left it will select everything that the box crosses (though I believe symbols and dimensions have to have their insertion points and dim points inside the box?). That's what I meant with my crossing comment.
It might need to be enabled in the Program Prefs, Drawing Tab, under Area Selection Box. ;)
#80458 by joeferguson
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:48 pm
Thanks everybody.

I reinstalled DataCAD, problem persisted.

So I was able to identify a total of 5 layers that were causing problems. I deleted those layers and created new layers using layers that I hope were not corrupted. I will have to recreate the work I deleted but at least I am moving forward again.

When I am not so pressed for time, I will revive the corrupted file and attempt the solutions you described.

Meanwhile I continue to appreciate the help offered through this forum. Merry Christmas (or insert seasonal greeting of your choice) to all of you.

Thanks

joe
#80463 by Mark Bell
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:13 pm
Maybe do a File/Repair prior to opening and see if that process cleans up the file so Erase/Area works? It may even delete the lines if they are corrupted.