Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#80729 by joeferguson
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:47 am
I seem to have acquired a poison entity. It is a single line drawn by myself on a layer I created.

When I try to erase this entity or move it to another layer, I get a crash and the following error message, "DataCAD (internal diagnostics) fault 28 Error from: 808". Same crash when I try to delete the layer.

Interestingly, the affected layer shows 218 entities in the layer manager but when I zoom extents and count them manually, there are only about two dozen entities. I don't know where the other entities went but now I have to search my whole project and try to find the lines that are not there.

Anybody else experienced this phenomenon? Any ideas on cause or cure?

joe
#80730 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:29 pm
Hi Joe,

Here is what I would normally try to do if I have a good idea where the trouble entity/ layer /GTV is.

First with no other drawings opened but the one with the issues open, I would try doing a File, Purge with the trouble layer(s) unselected, and save it to a new AEC file (Ex. FILE1.AEC). If it seems the Purge crashes or fails, then in the Purge dialog, I would work thru trying to uncheck other layers/GTVs that I think might be suspect. Might be a good idea to start with the first layer and go thru methodically adding a single layer with each purge attempt and when it crashes, uncheck the last layer attempted and then continue adding layers until I can get all the layers possible to Purge to a new file and keep a list of the layers that have issues. It's usually only one layer on a few entities on a layer, but I have seen multiple layers go wonky before. Also after any crashes during this process, it is best to make sure that you shutdown Datacad and then delete any left over temp files in your your C:\Datacad xx\Temporary Files\ folder before you restart Datacad. This will help Datacad avoid reading any of the bad info accidentally on your next go.

Next I would create a new blank AEC file and then File, Import the purged FILE1.AEC file without the troubled layer(s). Save to another new AEC file (ex. FILE2.AEC), and close that file.

Next, with no files open, I would up to File, Repair, and select your latest FILE2.AEC file and then hopefully that will Repair fine. Save that file and run it through some tasks like printing. If the file seems fine, save it and use that as your main working file going forward.

As for recovering the info lost on the other layers, we do daily modified backups where we backup every file that changed for the day, so I would go thru the backup files starting with the latest and fine a version of the file where the file do not show the issue that is crashing the file and then see if those layers are developed enough to either purge those layers out to a new file and then import them into the new main working file using the steps mentioned above. You could also try purging out the bad layers from the original bad file but I would be careful with using that info and only as a last result probably.

Hope this helps get you going. Also if you are a Subscription member, you can also reach out to Datacad's tech support email address for help with the file as well. It's times like this where the Subscription plan really can pay for itself. :wink:
#80731 by Joseph Baron
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:30 pm
You could possibly fix the file by running 'Repair'.

Make a copy of your file to work with.

With DataCAD open but no file open, click on File > Repair and select your file.

If you're willing to post a copy of your file here I'd take a look at it.
#80732 by joeferguson
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:30 am
Recognizing that time is a precious commodity, I continue to be amazed at the amount of time that you, Josh, devote to helping so many of us on this forum. Don't know how you and the others do it but I appreciate it very much. I am on deadline to finish the current project before I take a well deserved (in my mind) vacation.

So to finish the project I have already reviewed the project, identified the location of the missing entities, and locked the bad layer to hopefully prevent more crashes. It seems to be working.

I will attempt your solution, Josh but it might be May before I get back to it. I'll post results.

Joseph, thanks for your suggestion. I tried it but didn't work. I will take you up on your offer if the above does not provide a solution.

joe