Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#81144 by joeferguson
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:29 pm
Every time I save, DC creates an .aec file, an .arb file, a .dbk file and an .arf file.

My manual goes into a lot of detail about how DC creates these files but I can't find anywhere that tells me how to open any of them. Interesting that a search for the above initials retrieves absolutely nothing from the forum.

I had a crash today and after rebooting, DC will not open my file. Right now I am at risk of losing two days' work. My error message is internal diagnostics fault 10 Error from: 74.

17 years of DataCAD and never had this happen. Lots of crashes but the file always opens after restarting DC.

The crash occurred when trying to erase a new poison entity (See my post March 16 this year).

Josh suggested last time if I posted the file here, he might have time to take a look at so will try that route. If you can open the file, the poison is on the layer "steel". Note that I tried to Repair but got the same error message.

Looking for any advice.

Thanks

joe
Attachments
(4.61 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
#81145 by joeferguson
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:00 pm
SOLVED!! AT LEAST FOR NOW...

I took the .arf file to a unique location, renamed it with an .aec extension and it worked.

We'll see how it behaves tomorrow...........
#81148 by joeferguson
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:48 pm
Well, the solution didn't last.

There seems to be no common thread that makes these crashes predictable. But they seem to be coming more often. I read a post by Neil some time ago that when a computer is getting tired, it can do some weird things to files. I'm ready to buy a new computer if that will fix things, but hate to put out a couple grand if not necessary.

Currently I am carrying on by copying all the unaffected parts of my work to a clean file and proceeding until the next crash. Not a good way to operate.

So I took the latest crash and isolated the problem to one entity, which is in the attached file. For anybody who is interested in playing with it, you can cause a crash by trying to erase it.

Sure would like to understand how this entity became corrupted.

joe
Attachments
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 329 times
#81149 by Joseph Baron
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:05 pm
FWIW I can delete the polyline without any crash using 22.02.01.00.
#81151 by Mark Bell
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:25 am
joeferguson wrote:Well, the solution didn't last.

There seems to be no common thread that makes these crashes predictable. But they seem to be coming more often. I read a post by Neil some time ago that when a computer is getting tired, it can do some weird things to files. I'm ready to buy a new computer if that will fix things, but hate to put out a couple grand if not necessary.
joe

I had something along these lines last month on my workstation which has 3 drives. I did a scan of the main work drive, which is over 80% full, and it reported some errors so I allowed Windows to repair them. I then 'broke up' some directories/folders which had a lot of data in them (1-2TB), into smaller folders. I continued to re-scan the main drive daily each morning and after day 3 no more errors and it's been that way since and there's been no further issues.

Open a Windows explorer and pick the drive you wish to check, then Properties/Tools/Check and follow the prompts.
#81157 by joeferguson
Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:44 pm
Joseph -- thanks for your response, but I will need a translation. What is 22.02.01.00?

Mark: My single drive is old (5 years) and also about 80% full. Will give that a look.

Thanks to both of you.
#81158 by Joseph Baron
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:35 pm
That's the current Datacad version I'm running.