Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#82475 by Bob Kreger
Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:35 pm
I recently transferred DCAD 21 from my older Windows 10 PC to a new Windows- 11 PC.
This resulted in the loss of use of Function Keys F1-F0 in Utility and Edit.
Sure could use some coaching on this.
#82476 by Joseph Baron
Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:45 pm
Are the function keys hidden? See Settings > Menus > Function Key Label
Is it your keyboard? On some you have to set it to use function keys without pressing FN key.

Can you elaborate on your issue?
#82477 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:52 pm
As far as I know, there is not a way to disable that from within Datacad. I would bet it's something on the new system. Do you have a new keyboard? Sometimes the keyboard will have a Fn key to hold down while clicking the corresponding F# key or a switch to toggle the function of the F keys. Some computers will even have a toggle in the BIOS to switch between using the F#'s for extra functions like adjusting the brightness of the screen. This is most common on laptops.
Attachments
Fn-Key.png
#82479 by MtnArch
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:11 pm
Adding onto Josh's comments, you may need to go into your Bios to tell Windoze/MoBo to change the Fn key or the key combination to do what we've all been used to for so long.
#82480 by Bob Kreger
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:21 am
Many many thanks for ALL your responses.
I finally figured it out: on my Logitech "MX KEYS S" Bluetooth keyboard which I use for my new Win11 Dell laptop,
I discovered I can enable the DCAD key commands on this new keyboard by holding down the "fn" key and tapping the "escape" key just once,
(Logitech describes it as "swapping between Media keys and F-keys").
Voila - now I have access! I'm back to my familiar paths within the Edit and Utility menus. PHEW...!
I've been using DCAD since Mark taught it to me in a classroom @ the Boston Architectural Center (now called College),
in... I THINK 1984.... and I just cannot re-learn another CAD solution now. YIKES!
Bob