Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#7918 by FATGIRL
Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:35 pm
Do Xrefs containing Xrefs always lose highlighting properties of the parrent Xref?
("what??" i can hear the readers say outloud "what??")

I am currently hitting a wall in Dcad. On a framing plan I have Xref'd lower floor walls and highlighted them to set them in the background. When this framing plan is Xref'd to the output drawing, the highlighting goes away, and the lower floor walls read as foreground again.

Since the Xref of the lower floor walls has it own layer I would like to highlight just that layer in my Output drawing. It seems logical to me. I just dont see that option. Maybe this is a common occurance... How do you fellas Xref an Xref w/ highlghts w/o loosing thoose highlights.

thanks,
nic odor
#7920 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:56 pm
On the Misc. page of the Program Preferences dialog, under the catagory Nested XRefs, be sure that the option Inherit current highlight setting is turned on.

Dave
#7921 by FATGIRL
Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:02 pm
I just looked it up and it was checked already. This seems to describe what i want to happen but does not seem to be working as it should?
#7922 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:20 pm
FATGIRL wrote:...When this framing plan is Xref'd to the output drawing, the highlighting goes away, and the lower floor walls read as foreground again...

This top-level XRef (the framing plan) must highlighted in order to achieve this.
#7923 by FATGIRL
Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:30 pm
David thanks alot for the help on this.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your last post? I want the framing plan to show up in a 3rd file as I see it when I veiw it. When I veiw the framing plan "head on" so to speak, as a framing plan, there is a highlighted Xref (i like this). When i veiw the framing plan as an Xref the Highlighting of the Xref in the framing plan goes away (i dont like this).

I hope i am being vaguely clear :?
#7924 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:04 pm
Have you highlighted the framing plan XRef that contains the XRef'd framing plan? (Talk about vaguely clear ;) )
#7926 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:19 pm
FATGIRL wrote:I am currently hitting a wall in Dcad. On a framing plan I have Xref'd lower floor walls and highlighted them to set them in the background. When this framing plan is Xref'd to the output drawing, the highlighting goes away, and the lower floor walls read as foreground again.

Okay, just for clarity, let's call the output drawing A and the framing plan you mention 1st B. Finally, we'll refer to the drawing containing the lower floor walls C.
  • Insert C into B
  • Insert B into A twice
  • Go to the Reference File Manager (RFM) and select the first instance of XRef B
  • Turn off the layer containing XRef C
  • Select Apply
  • Select the second instance of XRef B
  • Turn off all layers except the one containing XRef C
  • Turn on Highlighting with the options you want
  • Select OK

Does this achieve what you are after?

Dave
#7929 by FATGIRL
Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:38 pm
In response to the reply up 2 slots; The Xref of the framing plan is not Highlighted, the Xref of the walls below in the framing plan is :wink: . In experiment i have turned on the Highlight button for the Xref of the framing plan (containg framng plan and highlighted Xref of lower floor walls). When i did this i did not see a different result.

Next repy;The above is what i have been doing. And it does work, as a work around :? . It just doesnt feel right to do this. The extra time cost is not terrible, but my version of logic tells me there is a better way. What i am ending up with is; Instead of an output drawing (A) containg only 11 xrefs, I have an output drawing with more than dbl that (maybe more by the time i finish :( ). Is it always neccessary to spend time re establishing the image i already have? Another wierd kink with all these additional Xrefs is that i cannot assign them a name that i relate to their function, they just have a path name and redundants have a (1) etc. I have been getting a bit mixxed up in their management. It is managable, however not ideal.

Is this the method that all must follow to achive this end? Are you (David or anyone else passing by) able to do this with the use only one Xref?

Thanks again
nic odor
#7932 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:11 pm
FATGIRL wrote:Is this the method that all must follow to achive this end? Are you (David or anyone else passing by) able to do this with the use only one Xref?

No, I'm afraid not. The ability to highlight XRefs By Layer is on our list of things to do. Stay tuned!

Dave