Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#8410 by Tony Blasio
Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:33 am
I need some advice on how to acheive this. I primarily draw residential plans. Our company does do alot of commercial work but that is handled by outside architectural firms. That said my employer is really impressed with DataCAD and o2c to the point where I recreate some of the commercial plans using DataCAD just for the o2c. This hasn't been a problem because I enjoy the break from the normal small single-family houses. This time however I need to draw up in 3D a building that has curved glass areas at both of it's main entrances. This goes alittle farther than I have ever gone before in 3D. The previous buildings I have done have had curved walls but without opening in them, this allowed me to cheat with a polyline. I can't cut a whole through the side of a polyline though to put a window in it or a void for glass.

Any suggestions or advice?
#8419 by Arthur Emmanuel
Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:41 pm
Tony,

It creates

one polyline with z of floor and z of the base of window

one polyline with z of the base of window and z of the top of window

one polyline with z of the top of window and z of the top of wall
#8449 by Nick Pyner
Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:20 am
Tony Blasio wrote:. This time however I need to draw up in 3D a building that has curved glass areas at both of it's main entrances. This goes alittle farther than I have ever gone before in 3D. The previous buildings I have done have had curved walls but without opening in them, this allowed me to cheat with a polyline. I can't cut a whole through the side of a polyline though to put a window in it or a void for glass.

I think you just have to take a deep breath and build up the curved wall around the opening(s). It doesn't take much to do a neat enough job so that it all goes together seamlessly and you get a smooth finish in the Renderer. IIRC I kept the curved wall section in a separate layer so I could ensure a decent shadow on them. I'm not sure this was necessary. This was with Renderise Live.
#8466 by Daniel Kaczor
Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:35 am
Hi Tony,

It is not that difficult to do, if you have the sweep macro. Build up a wall section using horizontal polygons (Zb=0,Zh=0), sweep along the curve, then add vetical polygons for the vertical mullions. It comes out as segmented arcs, but looks OK in o2c.

#8485 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:51 pm
This is nice Daniel. Congratulations.

Miguel
#8505 by Tony Blasio
Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:28 am
Thank you all for your responses. You have been very helpful. I will try to get images up when this is complete.
#75784 by Lars
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 am
I hope youre not still working on this. HA! Because I'm attempting to create storefront/curtain wall right now.

Now that its 13 years later... has a tool been developed that can create 3D curtain wall?