Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#8924 by peter korzaan
Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:49 pm
How can I put a window into a 3d arc wall?

I have made an arc wall, and converted it to a polygon, but it will not take a window using AEC.

Is there another way. The window is wider then the segments. So I can't use a slab and void it for the window opening.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks p.
#8933 by joshhuggins
Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:39 am
Your probably going to have to model it manually. I wonder how this would be handled in v.12?
#8934 by peter korzaan
Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:10 pm
I've converted the arc to a polyline, and created a smaller one the size of the window, trying to void it, when it asks me to select the master polyline, it will not do it.

Is not a master because there are two closed polylines arcs (2 enties) parallel to each other, or is a master polyline 1 (one) enity including both?

anyyyyy helppppp for the subject, any of it most appreciated.. p.
#8935 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:06 pm
Hi Peter,

You could do it by modeling the wall in four curved pieces -- either side of the opening, and below and above the opening; leaving the void/opening for the window. Then insert it with the AEC modeler w/o making a void. The window will be a straight "facet" across the opening, but at least it will be there!
#8943 by REX PEET
Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:52 pm
Good Morning Peter,

This question was well answered at "Curved Curtain Wall in 3D" last post 14 Dec 05

After using the sweep macro, you can close in the glazing with curved polylines, etc to give the window the correct size. You could also add the head and sill and sweep them too.

Sweep also works well on straight walls with large extents of glazing. I congratulate the guys who thought of this solution - it really is great.
#8946 by peter korzaan
Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:58 am
Rex I saw that thread but thought it was just for o2c... love to give it a try but where do you get the sweep macro? Looked in cheap disks and under 3d macro's didn't see it,

p.
#8948 by Daniel Kaczor
Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:35 pm
peter korzaan wrote:Rex I saw that thread but thought it was just for o2c... love to give it a try but where do you get the sweep macro? Looked in cheap disks and under 3d macro's didn't see it,

Peter, the Sweep macro is part of the 3d Power Tools from DataCAD.com, last I looked it cost $49.95.
#8960 by peter korzaan
Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:23 am
dang ... Its a new year and finding out how little I know... I have Sweep, but have never used it, I'm constanly using Knife in 3d power tools, but that's the only thing I use consistantly...

well I'll give sweep a try... thanks for the reply p.