Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#9077 by Sinha
Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:25 pm
Heres the thingy, I have a Keynote Symbol which I want to snap by it's insertion point and snap it Under another Keyote Symbol.
Everytime I do this, D11 wants to insert my symbol over another insertion point, since both symbols are same (Only w/ Different Numbers)

Why is it doing this??
#9079 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:31 pm
Hello,

I'm confused a bit: are you inserting the symbol from the SB/Template, or are you trying to move it?

Are you trying to use a custom insertion point? Because, if you use the center snap in the SB/Template, you are selecting the symbol by a custom insertion point; but if you are using the first mouse button, you will get the "standard" insertion point.
#9080 by Greg Blandin
Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:31 pm
Have you tried hitting Esc or U to refresh the screen?

Otherwise it's usually due to the order you insert entities.
#9081 by Sinha
Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:39 pm
I am trying to move/Copy the Symbol.
So I pick the symbol using "FastSymbolsnapping" then I want to snap on a Bottom Mid Point on another Similar Symbol.
#9085 by Greg Blandin
Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:53 pm
aHA!

It's the size of your pick area. What do they call that now? Anyway, what you need to do is zoom in closer. You should then be able to pick the snap point you want.
#9094 by Philip Hart
Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:50 pm
With Fast Symbol enabled in the Object Snap menu, you can snap only to the insertion point of a symbol. It sounds like you are using this to snap to the point to copy from, but can't snap to the "bottom mid point" of the other symbol because of the Fast Symbol option.

What you need to do is this: have Fast Symbol ON when selecting the point to copy from (symbol insertion point) then use the X interrupt to get to the Object Snap menu and turn OFF Fast Symbol, exit Object Snap (right mouse button), and then snap to "the bottom mid" point on the other symbol.

Hope this helps.
#9097 by Sinha
Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:05 pm
Thx Philip, That is exactly whats happening. Takes a bit long process for one little snap though.
So basically if you select a symbol thru this method, it can then only be snapped to an entity , but not any other symbol.
#9130 by Philip Hart
Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:46 am
If I'm understanding correctly, you are trying to move+copy a symbol that has already been placed. You can leave Fast Symbol turned OFF for the whole sequence if you can snap to the appropriate "point to copy/move from" on the symbol to be copied. If you can do this, you can avoid the X (object snap) interrupt in the sequence that I described above.

If the symbol does not have something that can be snapped to at the correct place, and this is something that you will do frequently, you can update the symbol, adding a snapping point to it.