Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#103 by Brian Engebretson
Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 am
Since we are a production builder, I don’t get the opportunity to dabble in 3D that often. When I do, it’s usually a framing detail that requires too many sections to portray what I want. I’ve used the object viewer to check my progress as I build the detail. It’s been great. But with my latest detail, when I enter the object viewer, my detail is revolving around some point off in space. I seem to remember my past details have been at the center of the Universe, so to speak. How do I get my detail to be at the center of rotation in the object viewer?

Ps. The thing I like about this new message board is that I can see where many of you are from. I was surprised to learn that there is at least one other user here in Minnesota. Not many of us around up here.

Thanks
#105 by Mark Toce
Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:37 am
Hi Brian:

The problem is related to the light sources in the drawing. When calculating the extents of your model for the Object Viewer, DataCAD includes the position of the lights, placed via the 3D Shader menu. If these lights are not near the center of the model, the model will not be centered in the viewer.

To correct this, you have two options:

1) Go to the 3D Shader menu and turn the lights (LtName1, LtName2 etc...) off.

2) Go to the 3D Shader menu and re-position the lights closer to the center of the model. It may be helpful to turn ShowLts on to see a graphic representation of the light positions.