Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#1154 by ecopeland
Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:24 pm
Does anyone know if it is possible to import Acad dwgs WITH information that resides in the Acad file's paper space?

Our office put title blocks, detail notes in paper space within Acad. When I import to Dcad 11 all information in paper space is lost.
#1164 by artmanvt2000
Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:58 pm
Have you checked your layers? I have imported many drawings from engineers and I have never lost anything, other than the quirky Autocad only object. The other thing to check is if your border is an xref.
#1262 by MtnArch
Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:07 am
ecopeland wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to import Acad dwgs WITH information that resides in the Acad file's paper space?

Our office put title blocks, detail notes in paper space within Acad. When I import to Dcad 11 all information in paper space is lost.

At this time it is NOT possible to import the Acad PaperSpace items. Other than IntelliCAD I am not aware of any other cadd program which can import them.
#1558 by Nick Pyner
Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:09 pm
MtnArch wrote:
ecopeland wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to import Acad dwgs WITH information that resides in the Acad file's paper space?

At this time it is NOT possible to import the Acad PaperSpace items.

Hell, that's not right is it? As I understand it, paperspace is Autocrap's version of MSP. DataCad doesn't give you the layouts but the information is not actually lost.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of it but this is what I understand Paperspace in Dcad to be:
A typical Paperspace job will have the guts drawn in the normal manner and the title blocks etc you allude to in paperspace. The latter comes out a a microscopic heap of garbage, usually in somewhere sensible, like in a bottom corner. It is all on its proper layers, no problem, and if you enlarge this stuff by 100x or whatever the plot scale is, that is most of the problem solved.

In theory, it shouldn't be that easy. After all DCad's MSP is an asseembly of GTVs and if Paperspace does the same thing, there should be all sorts of problems, as indeed there are when MSP DCad gets sent to ACad. I don't know what ACad does for GTVs. I suspect either not much or (typically) it is so nasty to use that most don't bother with them. As a consequence, Paperspace is limited to just notes, titles and border, added to a non-multiview drawing.

PDFs, in both directions, can add a lot of confidence in this arena.
#2328 by Evan Shu
Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:55 am
This tip came from Geoff Langdon, who presented on AutoCAD translation issues at our March DBUG meeting:

On the AutoCAD end of things, the wblock command is very useful in turning any “foreign” objects such as PaperSpace elements like Titleblocks into DWG format data which can be read in by most CAD programs. The PaperSpace data is saved as a wblock then inserted into a clean DWG for exporting out to DataCAD.

For more, you can see our meeting notes at http://world.std.com/~eshu/dbug/mar05.pdf

Good luck,

Evan Shu