Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#1275 by Tony Blasio
Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:35 pm
You can convert your old linetype in DC11 by using the Linetype Manager.

Open a drawing or create a new drawing
GO to the Linetype Menu,
Select Manage from the side menu
In the lower left corner of the dialogue there is a button labeled "Convert"
Select Convert and browse to your lin file you want to convert
Select open

This should convert all your old linetypes for you and put them in the right place.

Hope this helps.
#1276 by Raider
Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:23 pm
Thanks for the quick response. I had tried the linetype manager but the only line file types I can locate in v7 Sup folder have a POF extension instead of LIN so I haven't been able to convert them with the line type manager. Am I missing something?

Thanks
#1278 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:08 pm
Hello:

The POF files were the little image preview files; not the linetypes themselves. [/shakes cobwebs out of brain]

The linetypes were always all lumped into one file, called Dcad.LIN (in the DOS days...). If you can find this one, and can import it, then you'll get a separate LinetypeName.DLT file for each included definition.

If you don't have these, it is very easy to recreate linetypes in v11 -- and you can probably make improvements on them. Try out the Linetype Creator: work from left to right, and draw the spacing at the scale that you want it to appear -- and set the spacing to be the same length as the repeat in the definition.

Just draw one repeat segment from left to right, click the begining point, select the entities, set the spacing to the same as the repeat segment length, pick the end point, name it -- and you're done. 8)
#1280 by Daniel Kaczor
Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:13 pm
The linetype manager seems to only work on the Dcadwin.lin file.

All the linetypes in DataCAD 11 are in the file, Dcadwin.lin. All the linetypes in DataCAD 7 are in the file, Dcad.lin. These are both text files. Using Notepad, Copy the contents of Dcad.lin, Paste these contents at the end of Dcadwin.lin. Then use the linetype manager to select the linetypes you want. This will duplicate all standard linetypes in the Dcadwin.lin file.

To avoid this, open 2 instances of Notepad, one for each file and copy/paste your custom lines from Dcad.lin to Dcadwin.lin. Each new linetype starts with an ">". See illus. below. Save the Dcadwin.lin, open DataCAD 11, and use the linetype manager.

#1281 by Raider
Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:45 pm
Thanks guys for the help. I've got a lot to learn to get up to speed on 11.