Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#1369 by Codeman
Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:42 pm
To all,

I am currently with an Architectural firm with about 26 potential cad workstations. We currently have only 16 cad operators, none of whom know DataCAD. I am the only one of two in the office who has worked on DataCAD in the past. Everyone else has been on AutoCAD full version or AutoCAD LT.

My questions will be regarding a comparison of the two CAD programs; add-on software required and expected time to train employees.

With the USB dock key I see the possibility for employees to train at work and home. I feel that you should always try to advance your abilities even on your own time.

We have the full versions of AutoCAD 3.3 with added programs of Express Tools and DTI and AutoCAD 2005 and AutoCAD LT 2004. We also have an added program for AIA layer standards easier than AutoCAD’s and a structural program for drawing foundations, steel beams and steel stairs easier than AutoCAD’s that is used with the AutoCAD 3.3. Unfortunately no one knows or uses the full benefits of AutoCAD’s 3-D ability to complete building elevations and sections. We are still drawing in 2-D.

When I used DataCAD 5 years ago I questioned the boss why we were drawing elevations if DataCAD could do it for you. The answer I got was the files were too big. Now-a-days that should not be a problem.

Due to cost of upgrades for AutoCAD almost each year, we are considering DataCAD.

What kind of additional software would be required for DataCAD 11 that would be somewhat equivalent to what we currently use? We hope to teach CAD operators to use the 3-D drafting to save time on building elevations and sections with DataCAD.

How many of you use the 3-D ability to show building elevations and sections for construction drawings?

I was on DataCAD for 2-years, one year I trained myself (unemployed/self-employed) and a year with a firm using DataCAD. Then I changed firms and have been on AutoCAD ever since for about 10-years. I did not have a problem learning AutoCAD quickly. DataCAD I taught myself using the cassette tapes. I was drawing my first project in about a week helping another firm who also had DataCAD while at home.

How much time should be considered to train experienced AutoCAD operators to use DataCAD well?

Any input would be appreciated.

Codeman
#1376 by MtnArch
Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:55 pm
Codeman wrote:To all,

I am currently with an Architectural firm with about 26 potential cad workstations. We currently have only 16 cad operators, none of whom know DataCAD. I am the only one of two in the office who has worked on DataCAD in the past. Everyone else has been on AutoCAD full version or AutoCAD LT.
>BIG snip<

Codeman

Hi, Codeman -

I'll jump in since I work with Acad everyday at MY day job! I started on AutoCAD way back in 1987 and have used every version since, including 2005.

To be honest, I have spent little time trying to model things in 3D in Acad - even though we had Arch Desktop up through 3.3. It was so convoluted (plus having to accept THEIR layer system) that I gave up. One of my employees (now) has shown me what he can do with Acad for 3D, but I still haven't seen him be faster than I can be in Dcad. My biggest gripe with ADT was that the minute that you wanted to be able to change the linetypes/colors of the elevation lines you had to break the link to the 3D model. Any changes after that you had to do on a strictly 2D basis, or throw everything away that you had changed, regenerate the elevations from the model, break the link and change all of the lines AGAIN. In my eyes, this wasn't helping anything.

I picked up Dcad to get more into 3D - which was infinitely more user-friendly than Acad. What I couldn't do easily in Acad I could do in Dcad - and for a lot cheaper, too!!

You will probably want to add in RBTools (Roof Builder Tools) and a few other Cheap Tricks Ware offerings, but it will still be FAR less than what you would have to spend on Acad. Also, with the current version of Dcad (V11.06) there is Acad 2005 compatibility. The only thing that it can't do (nor can very many others) is PaperSpace.

Hope that this helps!
#1379 by Codeman
Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:24 pm
Thanks for the reply. There is a firm nearby that uses DataCAD but it is version 9. Several weeks ago I asked the Principal if they were using the 3-D feature for the elevations and sections. The firm is a two man office and from the response I got it appears that they are drawing in 2-D. I already have arranged to take several of our Project Managers over to the other firm for a demonstration on how DataCAD works.

I have kept my DataCAD up to date and I do have version 11. I do freelance after work and mostly use my AutoCAD LT. I am also a certified ICC Plans Examiner/Building Inspector and licensed Architect who sometimes gets plans in CAD to review. Most of the time the plans are in AutoCAD but I keep DataCAD just in case I need it.

I started with DataCAD and really liked it and I have decided to start learning it again. I just do not see paying the price for AutoCad full version when DataCAD does the same 3-D. Knowing both could be another qualification to put on Company brochures.
#1396 by SkylineArch
Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:12 am
the cost of AutoCAD over DataCAD is a HUGE factor.

learning DataCAD is east if you've used AutoCAD. The last place i worked used DataCAD, we brought in 3 people that only knew AutoCAD and I trained them in a week or two, in turn they taught me AutoCAD in the same time.

I now use SoftPlan and AutoCAD at work and DataCAD at home. After a long night on DataCAD i catch myself hitting the quick keys in Softplan or AutoCAD. :lol:

DataCAD does everything AutoCAD does for Architects (more if you don't have ADT), and now with open DWG there is no reason not to go with DataCAD.
#2578 by Jeff K
Wed May 11, 2005 8:37 am
I have hired 4 AutoCAD skilled CAD operators in the last 6 years. I think you have a 3-6 month window for someone to get up to speed on 2D. We are a production homebuilder so we do not do much 3D. I have also had a contract operator do simple projects fairly quick.