Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#1535 by John C Jordan
Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:34 am
I have to use a plotting service (I do not own a Plotter) I had to dxf the
files to Datacad7 in order to print to file. Is there any other easy way
to print to file on Detacad8.
Thank you
John :roll:
#1539 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:38 am
Hello John:

You can do this (I'm pretty sure), but it is harder to do in v8 than in later versions that have thwe Plot Preview. To plot to a file in v8, you have to set up a printer, using a driver like the HP 750C (which is pretty generic), or you can set up the driver for the specific plotter that the service uses. Use "To File" for the port -- and then when you use it, it will ask you the name of the file, and where it should be saved to. IIRC, the default location in is the PLT folder.

IHTH
#1555 by Nick Pyner
Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:31 pm
[quote="John C Jordan"]I have to use a plotting service (I do not own a Plotter) I had to dxf the
files to Datacad7 in order to print to file.

I'm not surprised. I have never been able to sensibly and safely plot tofile since V7 and I don't understand why this has been such a problem. I think it's a Windows issue and not a DataCad one and it was with the advent of V8.0 that I started plotting to PDF. You can do this using PDF995. it's free and it looks just like another plotter to DataCad.
Later versions of DataCad have their own plot to PDF facility built-in.
Plotting to PDF solves the abovementioned windows problem by making making it a non-issue. It also disposes af the pen-table problems.