Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#1639 by Nick Pyner
Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:12 am
Raider wrote:Does anyone have any experience using pstoedit with GSview to convert postscript and PDF graphics to vector format?

http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit/

Is there a point to this? I don't see what psotoedit is up to, it doesn't seem too easy to implement, and Ghostgum can produce DXF form PDF out-of-the-box anyway.
#1646 by Daniel Kaczor
Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:19 am
pstoedit is part of the GSview/Ghostscript (also known as Ghostgum) installation. It is the module that performs the vector (dxf) conversion. GSview includes pstoedit, some later versions of GS may required a separate installation. My Ghostgum folder includes sub-folders for Ghostscript (the module that does the work), pstoedit (vector conversion), pstotext (text extraction), and gsview (which is the gui that runs Ghostscript).

Get GSview and Ghostscript and install per directions, it's free at

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/

This is a most useful and worthwhile program.
#1647 by Nick Pyner
Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:33 am
Daniel Kaczor wrote:pstoedit is part of the GSview/Ghostscript (also known as Ghostgum) installation.

Ah, well, in that case, Raider, I had quite good experience of Pstoedit a couple of years ago. :D Fifty truly nasty AutoCad files with unique linetypes (including curved dash), text in symbols, some strange columnar text and God knows what all else. The relevant layers were printed out of Volo to PDF, converted to DXF in Ghostgum, and thence exported to DataCad v9. This combination saved the day.
I believe Dcad 11 can handle that column text now.