Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#1963 by cadlad
Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:16 pm
Hi,

I'm new to cad and recently downloaded DataCad 11...
I can't figure out how to draw a simple 2x4 studded wall. I followed the schoolhouse example in the manual but it gives almost every detail except for this! What gives? :cry:
If someone has the time, can you please walk me through on how to do this? Or show me where I can find a tutorial that demonstrates this? I would be much obliged, thank you!
#1964 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:36 pm
Hello & welcome:

Are you asking to draw a wall in plan that shows the studs (w/ X's) in them? If so, why do you need to show the studs? Are you also showing the thickness of the surface material?

This could be done several ways; one would be with symbols, and another is with a custom linetype, which you can either create in v11 or you can buy from Cheap Tricks.
#1965 by cadlad
Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:10 am
Hi Neil,

What I would like to accomplish is just a skeleton (floor and wall frame) with maybe an 8" shiplap board cut away as I learn how to use this program (basically a shed/barn drawing).
I would like to be able to have a side and top view (is that what you meant by X's? The tops of the studs? Sorry I wasn't sure what you meant by that).

Thanks for the info of what I need to look into. I will research custom linetype and Cheap Tricks.

TY
#1966 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:28 am
Hello:

Oh, I think you mean framing plans and elevations. If you want to draw the actual dimensions of the framing lumber, then you do this by drawing them with "walls" -- which are essentially two lines that you draw at once. You set the "wall thickness" to 1 1/2" or 3 1/2" or whatever. You'll definitely want to go through the tutorial and get into the basics of DataCAD. It can also do things in 3D, but I'd get a handle on 2D first. :)