Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#2227 by WizArtist
Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:00 am
I was attempting to create a linetype for an electrical line that is a solid horizontal line bisected by three small lines at an angle of 75 degrees. I failed in my attempt to make it look like I wanted. I deleted the file from the LINETYPE folder. However, when I tried to create the line again, it says it is already embedded in the drawing. How do I UN-embed it?
#2228 by Tony Blasio
Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:23 am
First make sure the linetype is not currently used in the drawing.

Save and close the drawing.

Now re-open it. This "should" purge the linetype from the drawing since it is not used.

If this doesn't work you can manually purge the drawing by going to File, Purge.
#2229 by joshhuggins
Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:30 am
I'm not sure, but I think you have to make sure you manually add these values are in your dcadwin.ini file I don't remember if they are added automatically. Remember these settings are global, and will be applied to all files. Here i have Datacad dump all unused items but layers.

Code: Select all[Purge]
LineTypes(Automatic)=TRUE
Symbols(Automatic)=TRUE
Layers(Automatic)=FALSE
HatchPatterns(Automatic)=TRUE
#2361 by WizArtist
Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:05 pm
OK, I have tried both. When I go to "File", "Purge" it allows me to select the item "linetype" but there is no action available other than "saveas" and "Close". Also, I have deleted the linetype from the support files, shut down Dcad and reopened it. The linetype is still in the drawing.

What now?
#3104 by Jim Allen
Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:53 pm
I see you haven't had any help in awhile on this subject. I have had the same problem with making line types too. Just tried to make myself a custom break line. But I wasn't happy with it and now it appears I am stuck with it. I've tried purging the file and everything suggested above except editing the .ini file. Did that work for you?

Somehow I have managed to purge all my go to views and MSP sheets. I didn't think they were checked off, but that's another thing I haven't figured out very well, and that's purging files. Could use some instruction on that or a source. Mostly I just don't try to use it. Fortunately I do use the Sessions and had a recent copy to go back to.

Jim
#3106 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:30 pm
Hello:

You could do this: start a new drawing and remake the linetype (the way you want it) and Save it as a DLT -- with the same name as before. Then, open the previous drawing and reload that linetype from the disk -- it should then work with the corrected definition.
#3111 by Tony Blasio
Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:54 am
joshhuggins wrote:
Code: Select all[Purge]
LineTypes(Automatic)=TRUE
Symbols(Automatic)=TRUE
Layers(Automatic)=FALSE
HatchPatterns(Automatic)=TRUE

These settings are the key for purging unwanted data on each save. I truly feel these should be on the Misc Tab of the Preferences as most users don't feel comfortable diving into the INI. I do it but I know of many users that flinch when I opened their INI to make adjustments for them.
#3114 by devinder
Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:11 am
Hi,
I would like to add 2 things regarding purge.
1. The linetype should NOT be assigned to any entity, otherwise the purge will not work, either manual or automatic.
2. Automatic purge ONLY occurs when the drawing windows is closed and user opts for saving the drawing. Forced Save i.e. Ctrl+S or any other means DOES NOT purge the drawing.

As mentioned by Neil, creating a new linetype in new drawing with same name and reloading should help. I would recommend creating new linetypes in new file, so you can discard the drawing if linetype does not look right.

Hope this helps
#3125 by Jim Allen
Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:24 am
Thanks for all the replies. I have changed the lines in the Dcadwin.ini file and will remake the new line type in a new drawing. That sounds like a great logical way of doing it.

It all works fine now. Thanks for the help.

Jim Allen