Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#31600 by joshhuggins
Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:38 am
Is it possible to use the online calculator within symbol attributes? I was wanting to build a symbol to handle the new change to occupancy calculations and thought a symbol utilizing symbol attributes would be super keen. I tried a simple test of trying to get symbol attributes to output some simple math, I created an attribute called test1 and used
Code: Select all=[1]+[1]
hoping to get an output of 2, but had no luck. Getting this type of calculation to work with in a symbol attribute would be step one.

Once step one is working, step two would be taking the calculated output of a symbol attribute, and being able to use that within another attribute for another calculation. An example value would be:
Code: Select all=[AttributeAOutput]+[AttributeBOutput]

Here is a visual example.

Does this make sense? Once this is figured out it opens a HUGE door to some really killer smart symbols for dealing with some really mundane and tedious tasks and I think would be a big step forward for Datacad.

On a side note, the third and "final" step (for this project at least) would be if we could reference external databases for symbol attributes. I've been playing a lot with creating external building code databases as of late and can see how tying it to Datacad along these same lines might be a big thing too. That's another topic to dig into some more soon I think. For now CSV / and txt files will suffice for these starter test projects.