Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#2301 by Leigh
Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:08 pm
I was embarassed today when I tried to show my client his residence in 3-D. It is a small project (2500 mb)( I have not had problems with other projects that are 7000 mb in the past)

For some reason my object viewer would not give me a O2C view. After my disgruntled client left I tried opening other projects but found I had the same problem.(':evil:')

When I go to use the pull down menu and click on the Object Viewer it shows in the dialog box that it is going to open, but instead it closes the drawing file and sends me back to the datacad gray window screen. I also tried to open one of my 3D symbols in the browser and got the same results.

When I exit Datacad and reopen it I get the message.

" Dcadwin.exe has generated errors and will close by Windows. You will need to restart the program."

An error log is being created.

I rebooted but still had the same problem.

I tried searching in Windows for an error log but could not find anything that looked like it belonged to Datacad. (I am using Windows 2000). I have 10gigs and 256 mb of ram.

I did not want to try and reinstall datacad 11.06 because I am afraid that I will loose all my custom changes.

My client wants to come back tomorrow to see his project. I hope there is an easy fix.(':?:')

TIA
#2303 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:50 pm
Hello Leigh:

I'm assuming that you mean that this file is 2.5MB; not 2,500MB?! :wink:

When did it last work like it is supposed to? Did you install the new o2c player recently?

If you would like, I could give it a try? If so, just email it to me. I could then email you the o2c file, or it might just help us figure out what is going on.

[Edit] As Nick says, 256MB of RAM is not very much for Win2K...512MB is a minimum for any serious work, and more is required for some things. The hard drive is probably getting pressed into service quite a lot -- and it is about 1000X slower for this.
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#2304 by Nick Pyner
Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:59 pm
Were you not able to use QuickShader?

Perhaps this was caused by the new O2C?

I assume you were not caught out by the QS<>O2C lighting bug. I haven't experienced it so bad myself but it could be that this put your model right off the screen.

256Mb of RAM is not very much, particularly with Windows 2000. You may find this a is a memory problem, not actually caused by DataCad but by something else. You should check your resources.
#2365 by Leigh
Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:41 pm
To Neil and Nick:
I want to thank you guys for trying to help for I know it was probable late after hours that you responded to my distress call. Hopefully you can discard the information I sent you because I am getting a message that because of the file size the server is trying to send ever 2 minutes?

I got help from Dcad Tech Support . Mark and Devinder found the ans. Some how my Dcadwin.exe file was altered. The ground plane = true was wrong - it should have read = "false".