Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#2545 by arnard
Mon May 09, 2005 11:55 am
I teach Architectural Design and I am just learning the Datacad interface. (I grew up on Autocad). From what I can tell this program should work great for us but I do need some help in some situations that my students have. One of them wants to put an archway in her plan to seperate two rooms with no door, the other wants to put skylights in a vaulted ceiling. Any help would be appreciated. I can't figure out hwo to do either.

Ryan Slaback
Albany High School
Albany WI
#2571 by joshhuggins
Tue May 10, 2005 4:39 pm
What are you using for your walls and roofs? Slabs or Polygons?
#2579 by Neil Blanchard
Wed May 11, 2005 8:48 am
Hello Ryan:

I am not a 3D expert, but maybe this will point you in the right direction: the arch opening will likely have to be created "flat" on the X-Y plane -- and then rotated up to be a wall.

The skylights are likely going to have to be inclined slabs that you then make into voids.

I'm sure we will hear from some 3D experts -- I sure that both things can be done!
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
#2591 by tigere
Wed May 11, 2005 10:13 pm
I think you might be able to create as a slab the wall you intend to arch
insert a void and then use voids partial tools to add vertex to outline the
arch - same with the skylite a void and the thin slabs to form the "tube"
may need a little stretching - clip cube might of use here
Good luck ...
Roger Pingree
tigere
#2604 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu May 12, 2005 12:46 pm
Hello Ryan,

The easiest way to create a wall with an ark is with a "covered" Polyline.

Do it in the horizontal plane, using an Auxiliary layer with the elevation profile of the opening.
Set Z-Base at 0.00 and Z-Height at the widht of the wall.

You can start with any shape, since a rectangular polyline or with each vertix in the right position. After you can edit its shape with the editing capabilities in the "Polyline" menu: Add vertex, Ark-to-Edge back/forth, etc.

After creating the Polyline with the option "Covered" ON, you can explode it into polygons (3D Edit) and rotate it 90º, with the observer putt into the side view.

Put it into the position and it will be fine.

Thanks,
Miguel