Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#2595 by Toby Fuller
Thu May 12, 2005 7:51 am
What is the most expedient way to "flatten" an existing drawing in DataCadd. In other words I would like to minimize the z height values of all entities in the drawing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
#2596 by RPadgett
Thu May 12, 2005 8:24 am
Try going into the change menu and change your z base and z height to 0
#2597 by Tony Blasio
Thu May 12, 2005 8:24 am
The only way I know is to:

Turn on all the layers you want to flatten,
Make sure your Layer Search is on and no layers are locked,
Go to Change, Z-Base, 0; Z-Height, 0;
Select everything by Area.

This should flatten all non-3D entities to zero. I have a Command Alias for this called Flat. You still have to turn the layers on and unlock them yourself but it sets the heights. It also sets your current Z-Base & Z-Height to 0.

[flat]
comment=flatten items
alias=^z^0$^0$^;^F0^S3^0$^S4^0$^F3^

Hope this helps.
#2598 by Toby Fuller
Thu May 12, 2005 8:35 am
Thanks that's just what I needed. I think I was unnecessarily complicating things. Still carrying my autocadd mentality of "never use the intuitive solution when you can complicate things with obscure commands."
#2599 by Tony Blasio
Thu May 12, 2005 8:53 am
:lol:

Sounds like AutoCAD alright! :!:

:lol:
#2600 by Neil Blanchard
Thu May 12, 2005 9:21 am
Hello Toby & welcome,

It sounds like you've got a great attitide: an open mind looking beyond the "standard" CAD! :wink: IMO this is the most important factor when making the transistion from ACAD to DataCAD -- it goes a lot faster and more smoothly if you are willing to get out of the ACAD rut. :P
#2601 by Toby Fuller
Thu May 12, 2005 10:03 am
Thanks, and I appreciate the DataCad community's dedication to the product and willingness to help others learn its finer points. I have found all of your suggestions on this forum very helpful.

Actually, I regretted writing that last sentence about AutoCad, becuase I dont think that comparison mindset is extremely productive. The programs are different approaches to the same result we all want, maximum quality in minimum time so we can devote energy to the parts of the job we love, mainly design. All that being said I'll look forward to participating and learning more in this forum as I get up to speed on DataCad.

Cheers,
Toby