Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#58662 by DAVID@GREENHAUS.ORG
Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:50 pm
Thanks Neil.

My refurbished 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 unit will have:
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

I understand that it is pretty easy to upgrade the memory.

We are still using DCad 11 here and have never seen a reason to update it for the work we do.

Happy Thanksgiving!

David
#58668 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:08 am
What version of Windows will you be using? 8GB of RAM would be the minimum if you are using a 32bit Windows - set up Fusion/Parallels for 3GB. If you have a 64bit Windows, then I'd try to go for 16GB; but if you can only install 8GB, then I'd split it 4GB for Windows leaving 4GB for OSX. Older iMacs have just 2 RAM slots, and the newer ones have 4.

Remember if you are using Vista or Win7 to do a custom installation of v11, changing the installation directory to C:\DataCAD 11. The default goes to Program Files (or x86 Program Files) and this will not allow you to customize anything in DataCAD, like the keyboard macros.

You may benefit from the newer features we have gained in v12 through v15 - and you would be supporting the good folks at DataCAD. We need them to be able to continue their work, so I hope that when your budget allows, that you can upgrade to v15.
#58671 by DAVID@GREENHAUS.ORG
Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:39 pm
Thanks Neil. Good question about which version of Windows. We now use XP. I will have to look into this. Any recommendations?
As far as memory, we can get 32GB upgrade and plan to split that between OSX and Windows, so we should be ok.

Thanks for the tip in loading DCad11. I know we should upgrade, buy we hate change here (that's why this is such a big deal!) and Dcad 11 does everything we need it to do. When you aren't busy, you can't spend the money, and when you are busy, you can't spend the time!

David
#61211 by George Robertson
Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:16 pm
About the Magic mouse working fine, Thatseems to have ended with the version 2 update of Magic Prefs. I am trying to figure out what to do about that now. Any one else having issues with this? :?