Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#39139 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:02 pm
Hello Julie,

There are (at least) two programs that will let you run DataCAD on a Mac -- they allow you to install WinXP on the Mac and run it in a window on the Mac OS X desktop, and then you can run DataCAD "inside" that. One is called Fusion, and the other is called Parallels Desktop.

A third way is to use BootCamp that comes with the latest version of OS X to install WinXP; but this way requires you to reboot the computer to run it, and so it is less convenient.

You can do a search of this forum to find some more details.
#39158 by julierae73
Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:16 pm
Thanks for the helpful info Neil. I am planning on taking some classes at my local apple store to get the hang of all this so I imagine they might be able to advise as well.
#40589 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:37 pm
Hello,

I have DataCAD 12 running on a 24" iMac using VM Ware Fusion and a Logitech MX-620 mouse, and it works, but there are a few issues that somebody may have already solved:

The middle button snaps in DataCAD, but it also triggers the Dashboard so that it pops into the middle of the screen. Do you know how to shut this off?

[Edit: I got the answer on the mouse issue, by calling Apple's tech support: I shut down the machine, unplugged everything, and let it sit for at least 45 seconds, then I connected just the stock keyboard and mouse (the Mighty Mouse!) and then start it up again. This "resets" everything, and then the mouse preferences show the controls for each button -- you set the scroll button to 3rd button, and then you just get object snapping in DataCAD.

Now I just need to do this again for the Expose function to keep the Back button while browsing...]

A great feature in Fusion 2.0 is called Unity, and this lets me drag the symbol browser and multiwindows onto my second monitor -- but they don't stay there.

[Edit: for now, I'm turning off the Unity feature, so I work the full screen and the SB etc have to be inside the main DataCAD window. Photos, email, browsing etc., can happen on the second monitor.]
#40590 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:17 pm
Hi,

All seems to be functioning well -- except for the fact that each time I start up Fusion which boots WinXP, and then start DataCAD -- I have to unplug and then plug in the hardlock. For some reason it doesn't get recognized; and it may just be a setting in Fusion that can fix this.

I will be setting up the VPN using Hamachi and then I will be back to where I was before my WinXP 32bit coughed up a corrupted file Friday morning...and I have a very lovely and crisp 24" screen! :D
#40763 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:27 pm
Hello,

A bit more feedback on running DataCAD in Fusion on a Mac: it works fine; but the quality of the display leaves something to be desired. The quality of the lines within DataCAD are lousy; to be completely frank.

I may end up installing Boot Camp to get the quality I need.

I have also used Hamachi LogMeIn to remotely run my workstation in the office with my iMac here at home. It works very well, and the image quality is decent; the only issue is the lag time on the controls.

If anybody has any questions -- or has any pointers for those of us running DataCAD on a Mac: please chime in!
#42281 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:55 am
Okay, a new update:

The image quality in DataCAD running in WinXP/Fusion is now excellent! The only thing I can think of that I did was to change the 20" Samsung to be the primary monitor, and let the 24" iMac's monitor still as the main drawing window in DataCAD.

So, all is now working exactly as it should in DataCAD 12 running in WinXP, in Fusion 2, on a Mac. :D
#43091 by julierae73
Sat May 16, 2009 2:02 pm
Neil,
I am so glad to hear you have worked through the kinks and have DataCAD up and running well on your Mac. I haven't pursued the idea of running a CAD program on my MacBook Air as I have been just doing work on my office PC.
My boss however, is a Mac guy at heart and is fed up with PCs and is ready to make the switch. What we are wondering is, if it is going to be best to switch to a Mac based CAD program (I haven't been able to find much feedback online about which one would be most comparable to Auto or DataCAD) or if our best option is to run it in Bootcamp or Fusion? Can you offer any advice on that or refer me to someone who could? I know the Mac store can help me with the installation of anything but I doubt they have the experience with CAD programs to make a recommendation.
Thanks!
Julie
#43094 by Neil Blanchard
Sat May 16, 2009 8:20 pm
Hi Julie,

I think the best thing would be to run DataCAD in Fusion, in WinXP Pro. It runs well and you can avoid (most of) Windows' problems. The 24" iMac with 4GB of RAM is a great machine to do this with, and it also runs a second monitor very well.
#44374 by gcpickering
Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:53 pm
Hello all -

having bailed on my vista machine, i've now just set up a new imac (very cool!) to run vm fusion and windows xp and installed datacad. v12 So far, working great, i have the same hardlock key issue as above, but i'm ok with replugging it in when i start. no big deal. A bigger dilemma now is whenever i switch from my drawing to o2c, the o2c part works great, but it won't let me back into my drawing. My nice black background with drawings goes completely grey and empty.. the only way to get back into the drawing is to reopen the file, at which point i get an error message saying "file was not shut down properly.. (duh..) and trying to recover. " |So far it recovers ok, but this is the beginning of a new project, and i'm not terribly interested in losing data...

any suggestions?

thanks
#44383 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:27 pm
Hi & welcome,

To get the USB submenu, and select Connect to Aladdin Hardlock. That should get it to connect each time.

As for the o2c crash -- how much RAM do you have in the system, and how much do you have allocated to VM Ware Fusion? I would Save the file twice before opening o2c, so that the DBK file is also updated along with the AEC file.
#44443 by gcpickering
Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:04 pm
well back in business and to answer your question i have no idea how much is dedicated to fusion. guess should figure it out and datacad just crashed again when i went to 3d mode - as you suggest, it is probably a memory problem. any suggestions?

and how do i get the mouse to stop being so balky?

thanks