Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#2745 by Toby Fuller
Fri May 20, 2005 8:25 am
I am having trouble grapling with the new "remember z by layer" feature of DataCAD in that it does not appear to be functioning correctly. I have confirmed in the settings menu that the z-by-layer button is depressed. I then set the z base and height in the desired layer and draw vertical slabs for walls which will appear at the correct height. Whenever I switch layers, however, and return to the adjusted layer the z base and height are defaulting back to 0 and 8' respectively. Is anyone else encountering difficulties with this function, or able to give me advice on what I may be doing wrong? As always, thank you in advance for your responses.
#2747 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri May 20, 2005 8:48 am
Hello Toby,

Have you checked the updated version, BTW ?
(Help/Check for Udate...)

So, the regular operation says that when you turn OFF the 'Z By Layer' option, it uses the last set Z-Base/Z-Hite.

When you turn ON that toggle it will 'remember' the original heights set in a default file or in the original setting.
(Edited:) This works "independently" if you are in a layer with another Z-Base/Hite.

Seems to me working very fine this feature.

Thanks,
Miguel
#2748 by Toby Fuller
Fri May 20, 2005 9:03 am
I do have the latest update. Is there any other way I should be setting this up other than setiing the z-by layer button in 2d settings and setting z base and height in 3d settings? I know I am setting heights correctly because slabs will draw at the correct height until I change layers. Is there any way to examine the height settings of each layer??
#2749 by devinder
Fri May 20, 2005 9:15 am
If you using Identify command, and clicking on ZBase or ZHite or SetAll buttons then settings will change.
#2751 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 am
I don't know if I understood completely your question.

If you have the 'Z By Layer' set OFF, any change in the values will be applied in the drawing, but if you turn it ON the 'old' values will be reminded.
In my case I use a "default file" which has all the settings pre-defined.

Use Devinder's suggestion after turning the toggle ON.

Hope this helps.
Miguel
#2753 by David A. Giesselman
Fri May 20, 2005 9:44 am
Toby Fuller wrote:Is there any way to examine the height settings of each layer??

Hi Toby:

As you Tab through your visible layers, the current ZBase/ZHite for each layer will be reflected on the right-hand end of the Coordinate toolbar (only if your cursor is in the drawing window).

Dave
#2754 by Toby Fuller
Fri May 20, 2005 10:00 am
Thanks, tabbing through the layers is helpful, but unfortunately confirming that my Z height and base settings are not "sticking" to the layer in which I am setting them.

The only thing the z by layer toggle seems to be remembering is the z values of the original layer: z base = 0', z height = 8'. I feel like there must be some step I am missing in saving or attaching the revised base and height information to the layer.
#2755 by David A. Giesselman
Fri May 20, 2005 10:12 am
Toby:

If you'd like, you can email me a copy of the file in question to look at. That way, I can at least verify what is or what is not happening here. If you send the file, please note in your email which layer(s) you are having a problem with.

Dave
Last edited by David A. Giesselman on Fri May 20, 2005 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
#2756 by David A. Giesselman
Fri May 20, 2005 10:20 am
Toby:

Hold the phone here. I've just re-read your original email and noticed that you are setting ZBase/ZHite via the 3D Settings menu. So I went to look into the source code to see if there was an error. Indeed there is! Setting ZBase/ZHite from within the 3D Settings menu is ignoring the state of the z-by-layer button. As a work-around, please set your ZBase/ZHite by pressing the "z" shortcut key until a fix for this is released.

I appologize for the confusion and thank you for finding this bug.

Regards,
Dave
#2760 by Toby Fuller
Fri May 20, 2005 10:49 am
Thanks for the offer David, but there is really not much to see in the file other than three layers all with the same z base and height at this point.

I may be misinterpreting the purpose of this fuction, however. I was under the impression that I could set z base = 0 z height = 9' on one layer, lets call it first floor, and set z base = 9' and z height = 19' on another layer, lets call that second floor. When I want to add something to the first floor, say a vertical slab or wall, I simply switch to that layer and the entity will appear at z 0 to 9'when I draw it. When I switch to the second floor layer the entity should appear at z 9' to 19' when I draw it. Is this what the z by layer was intended for? And if not what is the purpose?
#2761 by Toby Fuller
Fri May 20, 2005 10:51 am
Ah-ha! Thank you for getting to the bottom of it David! I felt sanity slipping away for a second there...I will use the keyboard shortcut to define it and can now get on with the rest of my life.

Cheers,

Toby Fuller